Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Frozen Peas

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Are frozen peas raw?

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I believe that most store-bought frozen vegetables have been blanched and therefore aren’t raw. More on that here: http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/519

• Fresh peas are hard to find, and when available, they’re expensive.

For sprouting, I use the “Goya” brand dry peas in the 1-lb bags from Safeway. They are mildly toxic after sprouting, so I boil them briefly in water.

Note: for sprouting, you need the “whole” peas, and not the split peas.

• ron4540, you’ve mentioned in a couple of posts that sprouts are mildly toxic. Could you site your source? I’m interested in reading up on this topic. I read one article about the natural pesticides contained in sprouts possibly being cumulatively toxic to humans, but no study was mentioned. I’m keen to find a lower fat source of whole food protein than nuts and seeds and I’m already packing in all the greens I can manage!

• When I was growing up, I recall my mother making soy sprouts all of the time for various Korean dishes. When I needed a science fair project in elementary school she helped me to set up a display on sprouting. I clearly remember her warning me to never eat a lot of raw soybean sprouts. She even took away the raw sprouts that she saw me feeding to the hamster.
    When she was growing up in Korea it was just common knowledge that bean sprouts should not be eaten raw. I would be very interested to learn that they can be eaten raw safely.

• Hi rawfaerie -

Here’s a link to the mild toxicity of “raw” sprouted grains & legumes -

http://news.softpedia.com/newsPDF/Why-Raw-Under…

You can do google searches to find other references. I was alerted to this early in my sprouting adventures when I got a book from Mark Braunstein called “The Sprout Garden”. He does say that it’s really a matter of frequency & quantity, but generally speaking that the heavier sprouts should be cooked.

I was turned on to the idea of sprouting because I too didn’t like using nuts (high in fat & calories) as a protein source. And I liked the idea of growing my own food too. The raw beans/grains didn’t taste very good, but I thought that I’d get used to the taste. Then I came across Mark’s book, where he recommended cooking them briefly for the mild toxicity. They certainly taste much better that way, and it solves the toxicity issue. I also found some things on the toxicity issue by doing searches on specific foods on Wikipedia.

• Mark’s book suggests that sprouting does remove some of the toxins. He says this is a “controversial” area subject to debate.

• Thanks, Ron. I did a brief search on google, but didn’t find anything. I’ll check out the link. I’ve always heard that sprouts are super whole foods, you could live on them, yadayada, but I really don’t like the taste of them either. Maybe this is a clue that they’re not the food for me right now.

RawJim, I do enjoy your posts ;)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

It’s interesting that the lectin damage which induces mucus production is considered bad but the mucus production caused by fiber damage to the cells of the intestinal wall is considered healthy. I mean, I know it’s not the same thing, but I’m curious how to know what is a safe level of munching for sprouted and or/soaked legumes. (I was reading this thread and the articles while shoveling someones awesome raw “refried” beans doused with some sprouted chickpeas. I love my chickpeas(sobs gently)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Someone posted that Cascadian Farms brand flash freezes (no blanching)... so those frozen peas would more enzyme-active. Though, I’m sure the enzymes are affected by freezing. Should probably call them to find out about the flash freezing.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

What I don’t get is that some ethnic groups use tons and sprouted beans. Just look at the Vietnamese… Mung bean sprouts. Do they “naturally” eat something that balances the toxins? Hmmmm.