Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Enzyme Supplements

Anyone taking enzyme supplements?

I saw that Trader Joe’s has a mix of pineapple/papaya enzyme pills at 100 for $2.49.

I thought I might try some.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I’ve always wondered about those. Raw pineapple and raw papaya have enzymes to digest protein. If taken as a supplement or not-raw, does your body provide the protein enzyme (bromelain) to digest it and other proteins we’ve eaten at the same time?

I’m not really sure how enzyme supplements work. Just eat sprouts they have lots of enzymes… I just read that on a magazine… and I’ll be eating more sprouts to try it out. I took Enzymadic enzymes last December (not cheap)... and I don’t think they did anything for me… as a matter of fact, I had digestion problems after I stopped taking them. Though, I don’t know if it was because I took those enzymes or for other reasons like food combining.

P.S. Oh, I just read your post on toxic sprouts… so maybe sprout your own. :o)

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Are you trying to take digestive or probiotic enzymes?

I just got my first batch of yacon root powder. It’s a prebiotic. I want to feed the good guys in my gut and this is supposed to do that. I also take acidolphilus occasionally. I don’t believe that I’ve needed digestive enzymes with a raw diet. Time will tell.

• Sprouts are one of the best food there is. Grow your own. I have heard nothing but bad things about store bought sprouts.

• By far the best enzyme supplements are the Enzymedica line. they are expensive but unit for unit they are the most enzyme for the money. Always read the ingredients and look for plant based enzymes from Aspergalus Orzea fungus or similar because i don’t spell it right. Also Enzymedica is the only line that makes specific enzymes for different purposes. If you food combine this is a blessing. For a high protein meal, take Virastop. Its pure protease and each capsule is 10 times the protease of any other product. They also have carb product. You dont have to take a whole one, just a half to save even more cash.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I usually recommend E-3 Live to people. http://e3live.com/e3enzymes.htm Cheers!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t understand…why not just eat a papaya or a pineapple. Surely enzymes are best consumed in the fruit as a whole thing?

• Some people have a difficult time digesting sugars, fiber and carbohydrates (fiber and natural sugars being abundant in a raw foods diet) . Papaya and pineapple primarily can assist in the digestion of proteins. I agree with jedisunrise that Enzymedica is one of the best and it is vegan…Digest Gold is the most potent formula.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I’ve also read several sources reommending taking a dose before bed on an empty stomach. You will absorb them and they help “clean-up” the blood by digesting Ag-Ab complexes and other things that have gotten into the blood that need to be eliminated. I have found that when I take them with every meal-raw or not-it helps with my bloating. I also use betaine with higher protein meals because I don’t have enough stomach acid. I’m working on an overeating problem. Maybe when I get to the point where I eat normal volumes of food this won’t be an issue, but for now they really help.