Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

High Blood Pressure on Raw & Medication

Hi everyone. I am a raw vegan. My Mom has gone raw vegan a week ago. She has suffered form high blood pressure for years. SInce She’s been on the raw vegan diet, her blood pressure has dropped dramatically and she’s feeling great. She’s obvious;y still taking her medication as it has only been a week since she’s gone raw vegan (she was vegan before that) but her goal is to get off the medication completely. Does anyone have any experience with high blood pressure and a raw food diet?
Thanks,
Inaia

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I have many clients who have gotten off their blood pressure and cholesterol meds from going Raw. Someone just wrote into my blog the other day about how she is off hers.

Please make sure your mom’s doctor knows because her meds might be too much now.

Kristen Suzanne

• Thank you for this Kristen. I will check out your site and blog. :)

Inaia

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Inaia~ Check out the side effects of your mom’s meds if one is taking to much. As your mother’s body starts to heal and starts to improve its regulation ability, her body won’t need as much meds (and possibily any). She may start to get symptoms of being over medicated. Some meds cause light headedness, to low blood pressure, and dizziness. If this occurs or any other symptoms of over medicating, have your mom go to the doc so the doc can adjust meds. Please don’t try this on your own. There are some meds where it is not good to cut off usage all at once. Plus, your mother’s body will go through a process to reestablish self regulartion. It won’t happen overnight.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I had scary high blood pressure. I had a high Systolic and very low diastolic blood pressure. My resting pulse was over 100 as well. I went from 184/50 to 120/80 now and I feel great! I stopped my meds during my transition to 100% and have had no trouble at all. I also lost 160+ pounds. Check out my story here… http://www.purelyraw.com/ourstories.htm

I am envious of you, my Mom is 85 and can’t wait to get to Heaven. She has no desire to extend her life at this point. (I love you Mom!) She loves her Doctors. She’s had skin cancer and osteoporosis for 30+ years and Heart problems for the last 20 years. My dad was in the Navy so she gets free medical and now that Dad is gone (2001) her doctors are like her only social network, other than church and the hairdresser. (I love you Mom!)

Let’s all send our Mom’s some love! LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

• Before I went raw my blood pressure was up there in ‘stroke’ level and that is the rate it was for years. At one time at a doctor I even had to sign a waiver saying I refused to go to the hospital for my high blood pressure and they couldn’t believe I hadn’t had a heart attack or a stroke yet. I was taking three blood pressure medicines and though the pills brought them down quite a bit it was still very high. I even went through and MRI and a long time of going to doctors with them trying to figure out why. Only one physician actually suggested to change my diet the rest just kept adding more and more pills to the mix. My cholesterol was also through the roof.

It took about three months of being raw for me before it was reading normal level. I would guess probably about ten grand also in doctor fees also over the last year. Though my insurance paid most of it I still spent a lot on co-pays. People say to me all the time, “isn’t it more expensive being raw” and I think about all the doctor bills and say “nope, it’s an investment that pays for itself”.

I truly believe now that ‘processed foods’ and ‘SAD (standard American diet) are the biggest culprits of high blood pressure and high cholesterol. People just do not see it and they will believe want they want to believe and many people wait for a dramatic event to happen before they make any changes. The secret is looking ahead and seeing the potential dangers and making the changes now to avoid them.

My Cardiologist is thrilled and amazed by the results, and even though she is a extremely nice doctor I am glad I don’t have to see her very often anymore.

I have only been raw since August 1 2007 and these are the results I have seen in just that time frame.

Good luck to your mother Inaia, she can do it easier with supporters like you around.

Cheers
    Mike

• Thanks so much for these guys. I read your posts to my Mom and she was encouraged and is getting more and more informed.

Best…
    Inaia

• Three best heart herbs: cayenne (blood circulation); fresh garlic (breaks down the plaque); hawthorne berries (food for the heart). More veggies (fiber), flax seed soaked, fruit and lots of distilled water. Put in the good deposits over time and change will happen.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I used to be on 3 different meds for HBP at the same time. I was also taking so many other prescriptions for other health problems that I felt like I was already dead. I slowly started finding natural ways to get off my meds. I started Tibetan meditation for my HBP and within app. 8 months was down to one medication. My HBP is very symptomatic, so when my BP is up a little I get a headache. While I was on the last medication, I noticed that my BP would spike (as I call it) and I would have several instances where my BP would jump up to like 165/95 and then come back down, all within a few minutes. I decided to ride it out rather than go back on the previous medication again. However, after going raw I noticed that spikes stopped completely after a week and my BP stayed normal while on the one medication. This made me feel so much better.

I have been reading lately about hypertension being treated with fasting and I began a master cleanse yesterday. I have been planning this since reading about the master cleanse on this website. I then read up on fasting and learned about all the studies linking fasting to breaking hypertension. My plan is to continue with this, cleanse to be supervised by a naturopath I found in GA (natural healthcare is illegal in South Carolina). He supports my plan to stay on the cleanse/fast for an extended period to see if it breaks my hypertension. I am hopeful based on what I have read that I will. Then I only have the hyperthyroid medication left, which is natural. Not bad for someone who used to take over $1000.00 a month in prescription drugs.

Chris Carlton – you are the bomb! It did me a world of good to read your story as I am on a similar path.