Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Alternative to nutritional yeast

Does anyone have a good alternative for nutritional yeast. It really makes things taste cheesy and buttery. I had once heard that some people empty a probiotic capsule in their seed cheese ( I haven’t tried that yet ). I’m really craving something cheesy but would like to keep it raw.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t use nutrtional yeast but I make the cheesiest cheese I have ever tasted!
    Try it:

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1619-Cheese-with…

It isn’t just me I have fed a lot of people this cheese and it always amazes people who cheesy it is, even though it looks like a very simple recipe.
    Oh I should say – in the interests of marital harmony, that my husband Chris actually created this recipe

samw7
  • Thank you Zoe, I just came from our am meeting at work and someone brought in a homemade cheeseball. It took everything I had not to jump on the table and start eating it. Did I mention I’m a little hormonal as well right now. I look forward to trying your cheese tonight!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

well, I am sure you will be eating it right out of the food processor which is what happens when I taste it to make sure it is ok!

• I tried to get Zoe’s recipe as well, but the message keeps reading “sorry there’s a problem.” Kandace, Ray, is there some way to access this?

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

If y’all aren’t able to view the recipe and you want it before they fix the link, email me and I’ll email you a copy. If you email me, please put in the subject header you are from GoneRaw and Cheese recipe. Thankx.

• I wasn’t able to open up the recipe either:(

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Me too not. Forbidden cheese! I want it now!

samw7
  • There’s no better cheese than forbidden cheese.

Good one Spirit. Hey Zoe, would you consider reposting the recipe, maybe with an alternate name? I’m sure it would be greatly appreciated since we are all eagerly trying to get the recipe to open and can’t.

Has anyone sent an email to Ray about the link not working?

Hey Bluedolfin, do you have an email address to contact him? The link is still not working.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Sorry guys I hadn’t seen this distressing situation till now, Here’s the “Easy Peasy But Very Cheesy” recipe, enjoy!

Cheese (with Spring Onion)

2 cups of Sunflower Seeds (soaked)
    1 cup of Pine Nuts
    1 tablespoon Salt
    Juice from 2 Lemons
    1/3 cup raw Olive Oil
    1 bunch of Green Onion, all except roots (diced)

In your Food Processor, process the sunflower seeds,pine nuts and the salt until mix becomes finest it will go. If it sticks to sides stop processing, open processor and scrape from sides back into centre.

Then add lemon juice and the olive oil. Process again to make smooth. Scrape from sides if needed. Mixture should begin to “roll” as it moves around processor.

Add a little water if needed to keep the mixture moving and rolling. Process until smooth, yet very thick.
    Then add the green onion.

Process briefly to mix in and slightly break down the Green Onion.

Allow to stand 30 minutes, then enjoy! – note: If you taste it early the lemon taste should stand out. The lemon taste will die down after it sits a bit.

laurensita
  • Yeah Zoe! our Savior!

Hey thanks Zoe! Distressing is right, lol.

I could really use your help with this recipe. I am really trying to limit my fat intake as well as reduce the number of different fat sources within a recipe to only one, two at the most. Do you think this recipe would taste good using (1) only sunflower seeds and no oil,(2) sunflower seeds and pine nuts and no oil, (3) sunflower seeds and oil, or (4) pine nuts and oil.

I am really searching for recipes that taste good and don’t include much fat. I wish there was a filter on this site so that only recipes that are low fat would be visible. i would also like to be able to exclude seeing certain types of food, say desserts. I have been a raw foodist since 1999, and i still struggle with overeating, food cravings, and my weight.

I would appreciate all feedback.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Thanks Zoe!!!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi RCBA, well, if you only used sunflower seeds you’s still need the full volume of the whole recipe(3 cups) of them plus a little extra to make up for no oil, the same with just using pine nuts – you’d need 3 cups of them plus extra to make up for no oil.

Cheese = fat…. I don’t really think there’s a way round it…maybe just make it once in a blue moon and don’t eat that much of it…I mean you aren’t going to make a whole meal of it are you?

Maybe you’ll come up with some way round it and a way to make this low fat, I’d love to hear about it if you do…the only thing that comes to mind would maybe substituting some of the nuts ir oil with courgette which goes nice and creamy and has very little taste.

RCBAlive~ To clarify your desire to “limit number of different fat sources”, is there a different reason besides reducing fat content that you are aware of?

Ray’s email addy is: rbrigleb@gmail.com. Sorry for the delay in getting this to you. I previously came across another recipe that had an issue and he fixed it when he knew there was a problem.

I’m not sure what link you tried that didn’t work (please include that info in your email to Ray if you are going to email him), but I just tried the “Contact us” link at the bottom of the page and that is working. Thankx for your efforts to keep the site working smoothly for the rest of us. :)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey Zoe, how long do you soak the sunflower seeds for?

And you don’t soak the pine nuts?

How long does the cheese keep?

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

We just saw the error…will get it fixed!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

MOTH - we soak the sunflower seeds for about 4-6 hours, then we normally sprout them for a day. Chris and I prefer it sprouted. But it doesn’t say that on the recipe, I might change it. Doesn’t make any difference to the taste or texture, just gives it more goodness so why not!

I never soak pine nuts. Because they are so soft they just turn into a mushy mess, so I leave them as they are.

I have never known the cheese to go off. It won’t last, however much you make you will eat it before it goes off! I am sure it will last a week in the fridge, at least…

The most important thing with this recipe is to make it blend for a very long time in the processor. Until it gets a bit warm.

My friend added psyllium husk to it and then cut it into little squares and dehydrated it to make feta cheese, she made a cheese salad with it, mmmmm!

Bluedolfin, yes there is a different reason to limit the number of different fat sources. That’s one of those things that I heard about from various sources and have basically accepted as truth. I will try to come up with some references for you on this subject.

RCBAlive~ Thankx for getting that info. So much to munch on… my brain hurts! 8-|

• laurafonglaurafong Raw Newbie

Thank you Zoe!  I'm going to try your recipe.  It's so hard to find nutritional yeast here where I live and it's terribly expensive to buy online.  So many of the vegan recipes, like vegan omelettes, butter and cheese require it.  Some people don't realize just how frustrating and extremely expensive that can be.  I really don't blame people for giving up on vegan diet.

TammiTrueClaireT
  • margatitacmargatitac Raw Newbie
    Hi Zoe! I want to make your recipe, but I'm short on sunflower seeds at moment, with surplus raw pumpkin seeds. In your experimentation did your husband try it with pumpkin seeds, and was it any good? I have all other ingreadients at the ready...
    ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm all for having an alternative to nutritional yeast. I might have to try the recipe too. :)