Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothie possibilities!

pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

Oh the green smoothie…What are some of your favourite combinations?

Comments

• Pear/mint/kale, pineapple/celery/cilantro (sounds strange but it’s tasty!), and banana with nectarine, peach, or any berry, plus greens are my favorites! I always add spirulina too. SOOOOO yummy…nothing feels better than a green smoothie. Oh, and I always eat them out of a bowl, with some more of whatever fruit I used chopped up in it, kinda like a fruit “stew.” Mmmmm, drooling now!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

We’re trying all sorts of things now… we just started a 30-day green smoothies. I was never much of a salad person, but I look forward to my green smoothie all the time! And I’m just on day 6 of green smoothies. Yum.

So far, we’ve used green smoothies, with an apple, dried pineapple ring (for the sweetness), and a handful of grapes. And, I like it! But, greens with pineapple and banana are great too! ...if you want a thicker smoothie. I haven’t tried bitter greens… yet, but, I’d like to hear some “favorites” recipes.

• Drinking one right now to kick start the day. Usually start with a base of ripe banana, ripe sweet fruit (like pear or mango), juice of half a large lemon and a tsp of cinnamon – then add about 4oz. collards, romaine, baby spin, kale or bok choy then about half a bunch of herbs/weeds like dandelion or parsley. Current fave is the base with pear then bok choy and parsley – yum.

Definitely going to try the pear mint kale, enchantress! Sounds fantastic.

• i’ve never tried mint, can’t wait to try it. i definitely love to add banana to any of the greens that seem a bit bitter. but i think the secret is to add frozen banana. my fav is definitely mango, frozen banana and spinach.

• My tastes have definately changed. I don’t like the sweet green smoothie anymore, now I love my homemade V8… spinach, lemon, tomatoe and garlic…YUMMMERS

• You might not necessarily think that MINT would be good with BLUEBERRYS and greens such as Kale, Dandelion leaf, purslane, stinging nettles, collard greens etc… but it REALLY is interestingly good! AND, if I want to add some more sweetness without extra calories, I use Stevia drops… Stevia is an herb that is very sweet. It comes in liquid form in a dropper bottle (or powder if you wish) and it actually helps to regulate your metabolism… it’s super healthy! Bananas and dates always add nice sweetness too! ENJOY!

• Arugula, Spinach,Kale, Cilantro, Avocado, Apple, Kelp, Dulse, Brazil Nuts, Hemp Seeds, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Fresh Coconut Water. Blend it in the Vitamix and yummmmm!! Usually eat with one of my homemade breads or krackers.
    About to have my last one today before I go on my two week Winter Solstice Fast.
    Have Rawsome Holidays!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

1 cup mixed frozen berries(strawberry,rasberry,blueberry), 1 lemon peeled leaving pith and chopped, 4 tbsp hempseeds, 2 tbsp flaxseed ground, 2 tsp spirulina, 2 tbsp maca, 2 tsp stevia, about 1/2 cup water or juice, 1/2 ounce parsley leaves, 3 ounces spinach, 6 ounces celery, 2 or 3 ounces dandelion, 2 or 3 ounces kale and sometimes collards or turnip greens. I try to end up with about 1 lb of greens in the whole thing.I usually have to blend the greens in 2 batches then add 20 ounces ice and blend it smooth. This makes a good 20 ounce serving for me and my hubby. I’ve also tried spinach, apple and celery and it was good too.
    ecvraw- do you juice or water fast?

• does anyone add any really strange things to green smoothies?

I never thought about putting spirulina into green smoothies.. i plan to try THAT tomorrow!

this is a neat thread. i hope it stays active for a while.. i find myself in need of some new ideas! I do like to keep it relatively simple though.. 2 fruit max unless I am putting extra fruit into it [chopped].. and just as many greens as i can fit really. sometimes they turn out super green, sometimes they turn out sweet. I use pineapple, pears, and/or bananas usually.. or at least lately.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Kale apple avocado = it was my delicious dinner tonight : )

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i use celery, fennel (fronds and white part) and apple or pear, THEN a mix of collards, dino kale (adds a great nutmeg-y type flavor), parsley, kale, and spinach… whatever greens i have basically.

i’ve been adding less and less fruit and more and more greens (like 1/2 apple to 5-6 handfuls of greens) as i get more used to the greens flavor. REALLY love these things!

• This morning I had organic “spring mix” (assorted greens) with bananas and water. Just that simple. Ummmm.

• Inspired by this thread, I’ve just made a green smoothie consisting of one persimmon, a pear, soaked figs and their water, kale, a small piece of fresh ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. A green smoothie for winter, yummy!

• I use a whole medium head or bunch of greens with most of these, plus 16 oz. or so of water. I have a Blendtec so I can use a LOT of greens per batch. My old blender would bog down on that amount of greens, so you have to do what works!

Spinach with Orange and either mango, strawberry, pomegranite or cranberry.

Greens, cilantro, mango and lime is divinely inspired.

Greens, pear and raspberry, or greens, apple and the berries of your choice.

We usually stir in either ground flax seed or whole chia seed at the end. Makes it more filling and adds more Omega-3s. I use stevia if someone wants something sweeter. I can find it in the bulk spices section of my local co-op as a green powder. We sometimes add cinnamon.

Some savory possibilities are greens/avocado/cilantro/garlic/lemon or greens/cucumber/tahini/garlic/lemon, or avocado/carrot/curry/lemon. You can always make it thick, use warm water and throw in some seeds to make it thick and chewy like a soup or stew.

• i love my green giant recipe, and in fact i start every day with one, it’s coconut water, kale, spinach, plus whatever other greens we have around, blueberries and spirulina. sometimes i add a banana for a twist.

• yum… drooling now, and ready to go blend!

in the morning i use a few handfuls of greens (usually spinach or kale, my faves, gotta branch out a bit more), a couple tbsp flax seed, few scoops hemp seed, maca, and whatever frozen berries i have on hand with 2 cups of water. i often add coconut butter (1-2 tbsp), cocoa, stevia and vanilla. sometimes great, sometimes a little odd…

dinner favorites are apples-kale-flax (i love adding flax for the texture – the smoothie stays blended better, less re-mixing in my glass) with either cinnamon or mint. also strawberry-kale. pineapple-spinach-banana when i want something really filling.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Parsley and green apple with ginger :)

• Some days I feel like I put in everything but the kitchen sink. Lately, I’m trying to work towards keeping it simple – I’m halfway through Boutenko’s book and get the impression that fewer foods at a time is better.

My absolute fav is pears and spinach. I had been adding organic pear juice as well, which made it even yummier, but now that I know bottled juice is not raw, I’m not using those.

My hubbie’s favs are ones with a little tart kick – grapefruit, pineapple or cranberries.

I also keep parsley and ginger on hand and often add a little of one or the other. Cucumbers add an extra fresh taste and they are extremely alkalizing! Just learned that.

I like to add an oil too – about every other day – flax or coconut.

I always taste test before pouring into glasses. If I have used a stronger flavored green – like arugula – I may have to add some extras to sweeten it – bananas or dates usually. I have gone through as many as 5 spoons trying to get it right.

I am trying to branch out with a better variety of greens. My local grocery has very few organic green choices – ugh. I have to travel an hour or so to get to the nearest Whole Foods. My last discovery there were Dandelion greens – they were yummy! Then on You Tube I saw a couple of videos where a raw fooder foraged for lots of their greens. I now have a book on edible weeds (haven’t had time to read it yet), but meanwhile I know what dandelions look like and I have plenty of those in my pesticide free yard!

• OneOne

Alot of ice in the smoothies gives it a good consistency, especially with something like mango or banana. Tastes like Boost Juice sometimes! Baby spinach is great to add, and ‘additives’ like lime juice or part of a vanilla bean.

• Ah, my favorite smoothie right now is the juice of 1 lemon, 1 T raw honey, spinach, kale, parsley and a dash of cayenne pepper. So green, so good!