Buck wheat?

Where do I find buck wheat sprouts? Also where would I find other sprouts (like lentil, chickpea… etc)
What does it mean when a seed is “hulled” or “unhulled”.
I am kind of new to this so any answers would be great! Thanks! :0)

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Well…
    Buckwheat you can only sprout yourself, as far as I know. Generally store bought sprouts are long and you’re better off only have short sprouts (if you want to use it for recipes, that is, what is it that you want it for, anyway?) which can be done by soaking the buckwheat (hulled, which is pretty much the only thing you’ll find in stores, and make sure it’s not kasha which is toasted!) for a short period of time and then laying it out on damp cloths for maybe 12 hours. When they get little tails they’re good to go. I wouldn’t recommend eating buckwheat sprouts long as they get toxic.
    Lentil sprouts you can find in stores but again, long, green sprouts. I don’t know about other beans, usually you find mung. They’re generally in the refrigerator section of a grocery store, around all the packaged greens.
    Chickpea sprouts, when short, a lot of people use for hummus… I find them impossible to digest and not very good. It’s really a personal thing though.
    A hulled seed is when the hull, the outer shell, has been removed. It’s easiest to think of sunflower seeds- they have that black shell on and ‘hulled’ they are little and white. I used to eat those only in shell before- and had to shell them myself, so that’s how I see it… Sesame for example you can almost only find hulled (the little white ones) unless you manage to find the brown seeds (or black) which are way more nutritious.
    My answer seems a bit messy, I hope it helps.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Look for buckwheat groats. I soak them for about 20 minutes, pour into a large strainer, rinse until the water is clear and the slime is gone (buckwheat make a muciliganious slime, it’s normal) and leave them in the strainer over a large bowl, covered. I rinse them once a day until sprouted. It takes a couple of days depending on room temperature. You can dry them in a dehydrater for crunchy sprouts, used in granola or ground into flour or use them just sprouted. I do peas and lentils the same way except that they need to soak longer.

www.sproutpeople.com

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

How do you like to use buck wheat sprouts? Any favorite recipes?