Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Now what??

I just found out within the last week that I am deathly allergic to nuts! I only recently started eating some everyday, and last week my throat started to swell up and I had difficulty breathing!
At first I thought it was a fluke, or just the specific nuts I ate that day, but when I tried some more, the same thing happened!
This seems like it is going to have a detrimental effect on my raw food adventures…

I am so bummed.

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Is it tree nuts that are affecting you? You may get away with seeds like flax or hemp. It will hinder making the gourmet type stuff but I know there are people in this community that don’t eat nuts. That would be a good recipe heading “nut free”

• Yeah, that would definitely help!

• ItGirl, don’t let the possibility of being nut free turn you off of being raw. I’m not allergic to nuts but often don’t like to have too many in a day/meal. I’ve found that processed veggies can stand in for ground nuts in most recipes (cauliflower seems to be the best in that respect). If you’re looking for good protein sources, sprouted grains (quinoa!) and beans are excellent sources. Obviously delicious non-nut oils like olive and avocado offer plenty of healthful fats. Don’t despair!

• You might find with time that your ‘allergy’ will disappear. Most symptoms that we call allergies are due to a bad diet and lifestyle in the first place. Many people who had severe allergies have found that they go away after they are living a healthful lifestyle. Besides, nuts are full of fat anyways and need to be eaten in moderation.

• I hate nuts myself. You’re not alone.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

i am very interested in using processed veggies instead of nuts. I really want to limit my fat intake and would prefer to use veggies as much as possible. Of course i would like the alternatives to be tasty and satisfying. lovingraw, do you have any recipes you could share? i would really like to see a low fat category for the recipes. i wish i hated nuts just beautiful. that would make it so much easier not to overindulge.

• SoCal, I’m already a vegan & have been for quite some time. I also never eat refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or hydrogenated oils.
    I’m maybe about 75% raw on a good day (but definitely in the process of making the full transition).

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I don’t have an exact recipe, just an experiment… The other week’s adventure was to take cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli and pulverize them in the food processor. Then along with some marinated portabella mushrooms (included poultry seasoning for a “meaty” taste), I warmed the lot in my toaster oven (or you can use a dehydrator). It was very pretty and satisfying. I can see adding some Italian seasoning or other seasoning blends to give the mixture a different variation.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I was thinking about that.I make veggie juice evry day and I feel so bad having to throug the pulp out,so now I’ll dry them up in the dehydrator with some salt,dulse and herbs and having it as a snack.

Lucy, There are recipes that use the pulp on this site. Also, if you don’t consume the leftover pulp, you can throw it in garden/compost pile. That way, it doesn’t go to waste. If you don’t have a garden/compost pile, find someone who does and save the pulp up for them (probably freeze the stuff until you have a quantity to give away).

ItGirl, I second Socal’s comment about “allergies.” Said in a different way from the Allergy Testing thread…

PS. Another thing I added to the pulverized veggie was chopped raw onion. I love cooked onions (warming the mixture works for that flavor). For different flavors, use different onions; whalla whalla, yellow, red, scallions, etc…

Lucy~ You can also mix the pulp with some whole veggies and warm or just eat cold. You can use the pulp as a “rice” or “mashed potato” base and “lay” flavorful stuff on top of it or “sauce” it up as a side dish. Oh, add the pulp to soup for some mouth appeal. The pulp is some added fiber – no problem being “regular” if you know what I mean. :)

• Don’t nut allergies kill people? I heard the reaction is so extreme that many people need to go the emergency room and have adrenalin injected into the heart. Are there different levels of nut allergy?

• ItGirl, I said that people will lose most allergy symptoms after living a healthy lifestyle for a period of time, what does that have to do with being vegan and not eating sugar? Vegans for the most part are not healthy, it all depends on what vegan foods you choose to eat. You can eat 100 % junk food and still be a vegan…or you can eat a very high raw food diet with little fat and no toxins and be a vegan…being vegan is not the same as living a healthy lifestyle. Besides food there are many other requirements as well.

• RCBAlive, I’m happy to share some recipes. I’m a big fan of Matt Amsden’s book “RAWvolution” one of his recipes: Cauliflower Coucous is fabulous and I use it as a template for other dishes.

Grind 2 heads cauliflower in a food processor or blender.
    Mix together with:
    juice of 1-2 lemons to taste
    1/2 to 1 c olive oil
    1 bunch chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1 bunch chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

then add chopped olives, dates, raisins, other veggies, dried fruit etc.

Another great simple recipe is zucchini pasta:

Cut 4 large zucchini into your favorite pasta shape (long and thin for spaghetti, or half moons for macaroni etc.)

In a food processor combine:

1 cup sundried tomatoes (reconstituted in warm water, reserve water)
    1/4 c olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    enough of ‘tomato water’ to make a sauce, ~ 1/2 to 1 c

mix sauce with zucchini pasta and any other toppings or veggies you like!

Hope those give you some good ideas! I’ll make sure to let you guys know when I post some more.

• Mmm those sound amazing!

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Thanks for the ideas to try bluedolfin. I often put juice pulp in my salads and feel like i am getting a 6fer; i get to enjoy the benefits of juice, my pulp is not being wasted, it adds fiber to the salad, it adds a chewiness that I enjoy, it adds a good taste (especially when carrots are in the mix), and it also digests easier since it is mostly broken down.

Thanks so much for the recipes lovingraw. i will definitely try them. I will be decreasing the amount of olive oil in the cauliflower recipe and adding zucchini (for extra creaminess that will be lost with decreased oil). I might decrease the olive oil in the sauce recipe a bit as well. Both receipes are so simple. Thanks again, yeah, no nuts!

RCBAlive~ The salad addition is great! Supporting you is my privilege. Hope the suggestions bring opportunities for you. BTW, there is a new recipe from springfairy that uses lots of veggie pulp, Juicer Patty. I hope you will post some of your pulpy adventures for the rest of us to enjoy. :)

• LionMouse,

Yes, there are different levels. And some people are only allergic to certain kinds of nuts. I’m also mildly allergic to wheat (which works out fine with raw food!).

LionMouse~ To expand on ItGirl’s post… There are a variety of “allergies” and severity levels. There are those rare allergies to the sun or water. There are very common allergies like peanuts, Tide detergent (yes), alcohol, penicillin, etc. An allergic reaction can range from a skin eruption like a rash, to internal symptoms (closing of throat, digestion issues), to a general sense of being out of balance or a headache to other symptoms. All these symptoms can range from a minor annoyance to life threatening. Some people are allergic to all or most nuts or specific to “tree nuts”, while others are only allergic to a very specific nut (or substance). Allergies can change (some grow out of them, others grow into them), here today, gone tomorrow, not here today, here big time tomorrow. An allergy, in simple terms, is the body’s immune system gone a bit overboard (overactive) when in contact with something. Again, every body is different and thus reacts differently. Some of the more interesting allergy-related research that has been more recently publicized is that there is evidence that some of the symptoms of Autism maybe food allergies related. More info that you wanted? LOL