Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Soaking an dehydrating

So, most of us know of the importance of soaking nuts and seeds before consuming them. However, many recipes instruct to first soak the nut/seed, and then dehydrate for crunchiness or something else.
Doesn’t the dehydrating contradict the soaking? Or would the enzyme-inhbitor releasing effects of the soaking withstand the dehydrating?
Thanks!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I don’t understand what you are asking.

But, when you germinate (soak), you are removing the enzyme inhibitors. They are in the water after the nuts/seeds are soaked for some time. Then, the nut/seed is no longer dormant… it is, bio-active. The enzyme inhibitors are removed, you can dehydrate.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I think I see what you mean. I meant that it seemed kind of contradictory to soak a nut and make it “alive” and then dehydrate it…but maybe I just don’t fully understand the logistics of it.

• I know what you are saying elizabethh, but logically, the food should stay “alive” in the dehydrator, if it is not heated more than 118 degrees. That’s just my thought (not based on any solid data),so if anyone out there is more knowledgeable, please chime in.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Correct, Mon46.

• elizabethh, even i felt the same way.i like to consume nuts right after soak period.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Elizabeth,
    If the dehydration is done at low temperature then the food stays alive. Also, some people do not like the texture of soaked nuts so to dehydrated afterward is pleasing to them. Lastly, for many people a dehydrator is quite a fun kitchen tool to make alive crackers, cookies, kale chips … A very dear friend of mine just offered me one for Christmas, I look forward to play with it. I would love to create healthy & raw sports bars as well as healthy & raw safety/emergency food as I am not thrilled by what is out there for us rawfoodhist on these levels.
    May this be helpful.