Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

over-soaking nuts

skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

i have a problem with soaking nuts for way too long. i put them in water, meaning to soak for a few hours, then utterly forget about them until the next day. i think i need to get some kind of egg timer.

is this terribly bad? am i removing a lot of valuable nutrients by doing this?

ClaireT

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I don’t see how this would be a problem. You’d be better off to refrigerate them though to make sure they don’t get rancid.

ClaireT
  • rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I soak mine overnight unless I need them for a recipe later that day and then only soak for about 4 hours. I found that if they soaked too long they did not taste as good in nut milks, not as rich in flavor, but maybe that was just a weak batch of nuts??? I put mine in a mason jar filled with water and put it beside the glass that I drink from in the morning so I see if first thing :) You could place your car keys beside the jar or something you know you’ll need to use.

ClaireT
  • germin8germin8 Raw Master

If they smell funny… then rinse them until the smell goes away. Rinse the container they were in too. If the smell doesn’t go away, throw them out; they are no good.

Typically you germinate/soak nuts for up to 48 hours (seeds/grains for up to 24hrs) changing the water 2-4 times a day. You are removing enzyme inhibitors like phytic and tannin acid when you soak. If you’re sprouting, the process is slightly different. But, the longer you soak (up to the hours mentioned), the more nutrients you will get since you are removing the inhibitors and the nut/seed will begin to grow.

ClaireT
  • 1Christine1Christine Raw Newbie

Goodness, How can you oversoak… I soak/sprout my almonds for 4 or 5 days…never a problem. they develop a sprout end, I “shuck” them (peel the skins) and dry them for future use. I Soak things for days on end all the time. No problem. I do not live in a tropical climate…20F in winter and 80F in summer, but my house is normally 68F.

ClaireT
  • germin8germin8 Raw Master

If you are sprouting for 4-5 days… that’s okay! It’s the soaking that I think would be too much. I thought that one should be sprouting after about 24-48 hours of soaking. I didn’t think you could sprout seeds while they are still swimming in water. If you can… I’m going to have to try that.

ClaireT
  • 1Christine1Christine Raw Newbie

I should have said that I actually leave the almonds submerged in H2O for 4-5 or more days. I just keep changing the H2O. They develop a wonderful sprout that actually splits the seed!No, it is not green, but it definately noticable. Knowing how that enhances digestion, it was exciting to me!
    I have never understood folks that say they don

JenniferM03145ClaireT
  • JenniferM03145JenniferM03145 Raw Newbie

I leave my nuts in fridge soaking and use as I need, is this something others do, I find no info on this anywhere, everyone seems to spend time drying and dehydrating..I don’t see a nutritional problem with my short cut methods, but if anyone knows please comment.. I change water daily and I use them daily. I don’t have a dehydrator I just use them in salads porridge and to make milk and butters. 

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I use alarms on my Android for everything. Maybe add an alarm for soaking times? 

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

Add the water to a recipe and all of your nutrients will be saved!

• gericurtingericurtin Raw Newbie

I soak nuts and seeds daily to make nut yogurts, milks and spreads and dressings. I change my water every 6 hrs and usually do a batch to last 2 days. I just lessen the liquid content of any recipe if I am using the soaked nuts. Right now I have a batch of crackers dehydrating made from leftover juicing pulp, leftover soaked nuts pulp from making the nut milk and add spices...I just lessened the liquid content

ClaireTTammiTrue
  • demibetschartdemibetschart Raw Newbie
    I soaked my almonds for 24 hours, changing the water twice. And then sprouted then for 48 hours while rinsing them every 6 hours. They have a smell to them and I can’t tell if it’s mold. Does anyone else’s almonds smell after soaking and sprouting????
    ClaireT