Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who likes nuts?

teadeteade Raw Newbie

Just wondering how many servings of nuts and/or seeds people eat a day.
I know you’re only supposed to eat a small amount..
just wondering.

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

1/4 cup. I prefer avos

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

me too, i may eat a couple nuts in a day. avo and coconut are more my taste.
    unless they are in a pie or something, but thats not often.

• A few months ago, I forgot to pack my lunch with me to school and my school canteen sells crap. So, when I got home, I think I ate 500-750g of cashews.

I don’t eat many nuts now, after that incident. Maybe a few walnuts or pecans every few days.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I eat seeds more frequently than nuts. I grind pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on salad and I put ground flax on sliced fruit. I like chia in smoothies and sprouted sunflower seeds in my granola. I make almond milk 1/4 (almonds to water) once, sometimes twice a week. That will end as my supply of unpastuerized almonds runs out. I’ve made cashew cream cheese twice this week, once sweet and once savory.

I use nuts and seeds often, but I only eat small portions at a time.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

My favorite food is smoothies and green juices,green soups with avocado.Because I have a huge sweet tooth I do a lot of sweet deserts with nuts.

• I can’t eat nuts or seeds in large quantities and I tend to like them best on their own or with some type of fruit. I like walnuts the best.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Yea, I tend to eat a good two or three handfuls of nuts/seeds a day.. like flax in breads or nuts for desserts.
    I was starting to worry that I’m going to gain some weight. lol.
    But I’m thinking that has more to do with the overeating that occurs when I get stressed or bored. :(

Anywho, what are the rules to these nuts and seeds?
    If they are sunflower seeds, do they have to be labelled as ‘raw’?
    And how accurate can you take the raw labelling of say cashews and walnuts.
    I know I read about the almond thing and something about shelled pecans being boiled.
    Information appreciated!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

cashews, almonds grown in california, and shelled pecans are not raw.
    cashews are put through intensive heat processing to get rid of the toxin that coats them in nature, almonds grown in california are all pasteurized (you can still get raw almonds on the internet or from a farmer you trust), and yes, shelled pecans are boiled. just buy them unshelled.

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

not a lot. i rarely eat them straight, but i use nuts in recipes, so i suppose it calculates to about a handful or two a week.

• raw cashews are only heated enough to remove the toxic coating surrounding them, they produce all the same effects of other raw nuts, such as a raw nut cheese that doesn’t spoil. If you try it with cashews that aren’t listed as raw the cheese never turns out right and spoils, therefore the heat only damages the toxin surrounding the nut, not the cashew nuts themselves.

• I eat about a pound of almonds a day.

• I eat a quarter cup of hemp seeds or flax every day. These go into my shakes or are spinkled over salad. When I tried cutting out all nuts and seeds my skin suffered a lot.
    Brownies are my weakness, and when I do get my hands on some nuts, they usually end up in a date/nut brownie.

• I make it a point to eat at least 7 raw almonds a day. I love all nuts but almonds have an alkalizing effect on the body which make them a major anti-cancer food.

Other than these, I try to keep them at a minimum although it’s sometimes impossible when I use a bunch of nuts to make a fruit tart or something.

• I eat more seeds than nuts, but lately I’ve been making some nut sauces from Conscious Eating. They are great for breakfast. I’m limited on grains due to allergies, so I do use nuts and seeds instead. I use hemp seeds in just about everything…. all salads, in my spring rolls, etc.

Missi