substitute for mushrooms

Hi there can anyone suggest a sub for mushrooms. I don’t get on well with them but they are in soo many recipies.

Comments

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi Carob, I find aubergine (eggplant) quite a good substitute. You need to soak thin slices overnight in slightly salted water. Then you can make a tomato sauce and mix with the eggplant. Put in the dryer for about 2-3 hours on 145 until they go soft. also, try shiitake mushrooms, they a medicinal mushroom and lots of raw foodies still eat them.

• thanks can you use thease for any recipe calling for mushrooms.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I can’t believe this topic is here! I just was wondering this myself last night :) I have tried thin, long zucchini since it is sort of spongy, but eggplant is a great idea! Thanks…

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Sweetpea: Why do you need to soak them overnight in slightly salty water?

• well i’m not sweetpea, but i can tell you why. eggplants are naturally very bitter. soaking them in the salty water will remove the bitterness so it tastes better. =P altho, i’m guessing it also helps to soften the eggplant since it’s a little hard. this sounds like a great substitute. i don’t use mushrooms either because of the fungus.

• Eggplant it is then. I’m also triying to cut out my salt intake. is there anything else to use to soak them.