Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Must flax seed be crushed?

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Does flax seed really need to be crushed in order for the body to get the Omega-3 oils?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Just a guess, but like any dormant nut/seed… it has enzyme inhibitors which would make it more difficult to digest. I’ve never germinated flaxseed before… but that would certaintly make it easier to digest. Grinding the seed would make it easier to digest too… and pressing it into an oil would make it easier than that. At the very least, germinating or breaking the seed (in anyway) would be more beneficial than a whole, raw, dormant seed. But, do this when you’re ready to eat it… or eat it in a few days.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Thank you, germin8 and RawJim(I’m still laughing, RawJim. Naw, I’ve never liked to chew much:-D )

• the body can’t break the seed down itself, so grindly it as finely as possible and eating it as fresh as possible is the best way to get all those omega 3s. all nuts and seeds go rancid quickly because of the oils so i wouldn’t grind them until i’m ready to use them. heat also destroys the omega 3s which is actually pretty funny when i see cereals or spaghetti noodles at the store that have WHOLE flax seeds in them (you can clearly see it on the box or through the plastic) and obviously the product has been cooked and they rave about how healthy their product is cuz of the flax and omega 3s, but really you aren’t getting much because the seeds are whole and the omegas have been cooked out during the processing anyway.

hemp seeds are also rich in omega 3s and you can just eat them as is right from the bag. that’s what i do. i feel they are way too healthy and delicate to use in a recipe. but i don’t think flax seeds taste good alone so i have to add them to something.

• I put mine in the coffee grinder for a few seconds, and they taste great over thinly sliced apples. Ground flax seed really does taste much better than whole, and the body really needs it either in ground or oil form.

• They are pretty equal as far as nutritional value. The dark seeds have almost no flavor of their own, so they are great to put with other foods for their fiber/oil benefit. The golden flax have a stronger nuttier flavor and fragrance, they remind me of peanut butter. I don’t like peanuts, however, so I stick with the darker flax seeds.

• One of my favorite breakfast for awhile was sliced apples, almond butter, frozen blueberries, and ground flax seed, all stirred up, could even add brewers yeast. But about the grinding/ soaking of the seed, someone here soaks the seed, dehydrates the whole sticky mass, then they are ready to use in anything. Of course they still need to be ground,sounds like a good idea!

• skizzyskizzy Raw Newbie

They are pretty equal as far as nutritional value. The dark seeds have almost no flavor of their own, so they are great to put with other foods for their fiber/oil benefit. The golden flax have a stronger nuttier flavor and fragrance, they remind me of peanut butter.

i disagree. i’ve read somewhere that the golden flax was actually higher in nutritional content. when i put flax on salads, i like the brown ones better because of their nutty taste. i end up putting golden in my smoothies since it doesn’t chang the taste much, but use brown for crackers and on salads for the better taste.