Flax Seed alternatives?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone, is there a flax seed alternative to use in recipes? I really REALLY don’t like the texture or taste of flax seed. I mean, maybe I could learn to like it, but it just kinda makes me feel sick when I eat it, so based on that, I think I may just avoid it. Trying to listen to my body, you know?

I know hemp seed is recommended often. Anything else?

Comments

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I’ve read that chia seed can be substituted in any recipe calling for flaxseed. I’ve never tried it myself, but I’m looking forward to trying it in breads and cakes, as I don’t love the taste of flaxseed either.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi Moth, if you need to thicken a recipe you can use psyllium husk. Otherwise, ground pumpkins and sunflowers are good. It may be that the flax is too fatty for you. By using other seeds instead that are higher in protein than in fat you might feel better. Hemp is also a good example.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Chia seeds are great for replacing flax seeds since they get the same “gelatinous” texture when soaked. You can replace using the same amount. Chia, like flax, don’t need to be sprouted, you just soak them to get the gelatinous texture, or you grind them dry. Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne