Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Homemade tahini anyone? Is there a recipe out there to make homemade Tahini?

I don’t know what it is, but I can’t seem to find one! I bought some gorgeous raw black sesame seeds to make some homemade tahini with and would love any recipes you might have! I’d love to make some from scratch, thanks folks!!

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Just process in a food processor (the plain seeds) until it becomes a paste. It could take 5-10 minutes so you might have to stop a few times, scrape down the sides and make sure it doesn’t get too warm. Some people add a little olive oil to help get it going, but you don’t have to.

Store it in a glass mason jar.

Cheers!

Kristen Suzanne

• The first step in this hummus recipe is to make tahini paste, and it is really nice! You can certainly modify it to your needs.

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/2247-Real-Hummus

(The recipe was originally posted by ofek.)

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Kristen, you’re talking about soaked seeds, right?

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

No, you just put them in the food processor dry. If you soak them, they will only last about a week. Grind them dry.

Or, you can soak and then dehydrate them and then grind them.

• leigh starleigh star Raw Newbie

Kristen, you are amazing!
    Thank you!!!! ;)

• i am dying to get a mortar and pestle (however you spell it!) because i’m really old fashioned and actually think it would be FUN (not wrk) to make food pastes with a mortar and pestle instead of blender, grinder, etc. you could use it for making tahini, thai curry pastes (mix w/ coconut milk and toss w/ zucchinni pasta, yum!) and mashing up anything else that is a small amount and might not be enough to put in a food processor such as garlic, chilis, or seeds. tahini is just sesame seeds so you can really make the paste anyway you want, but i always think it’s fun to go electric free when possible.

• It IS fun, rawveganlove. I have one that I don’t use nearly enough, but every time I do I really enjoy that tactile process of working with the food. Get one!