Iron-rich Greens & Serving Sizes

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Two questions in one:

When it calls for one serving size of greens; that’s 1/2 cup… but does that mean jam-packed or packed loosely?

What are some good green smoothie recipes with only iron-rich foods in them, like stinging nettle, blueberries, spinach. Some people here even mentioned dandelion, beets, himalayan salt, cashews, huckleberry, wild rose, sorrell, dock, fenugreek, black sesame seeds, watermelon… as being rich in iron.

I’m making a green smoothie for a friend on Friday and I want it to be iron-rish… so, I don’t have time to experiment.

Just recipes please.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Anybody?

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Ok, I don’t have any recipes specific for this, but a little research and this is what I’ve come up with:

High iron foods:
    Lettuce, mustard greens, spinach, and other leafy green veggies, raisins

Combined with Vitamin C, iron absorption is increased. So here are some combos to consider:

Spinach, strawberry/blueberry
    romaine and spinach, mango/strawberry/orange

I selected spinach and romaine b/c they tend to be easier for non-rawies to tolerate. As far as serving size, I would jam pack that 1/2 cup! (but that’s me)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks for your researched input, newbie. I appreciate it! Those combinations sound great! I didn’t think of adding orange; that would add an extra zing to it, along with the Vitamin C. Wonderful.

About that serving size. Well, I was wondering what the FDA thinks a serving size of greens is? Jam-packed or loosely-packed? I like to jam-pack… but, if it’s supposed to be loosely-packed… then, I’m really eating double. Which is great! Our company is having a veggies & fruit challenge in a few months… and being one of the wellness champions for our company in VA… I want to be able to tell people how much is one serving of greens/lettuce – jammed or loose greens.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Yeah, it would almost be easier if they said 3 ounces or something. Good luck! (I’m in the Richmond, VA area)

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I’ve also wondered about jam packed or loose packed. Good question. Better to jam pack and get more I suppose!