Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Heat?

I’m very new to exploring raw, and knew I would deal with cravings and missing certain foods, but I hadn’t thought about heat. I’m struggling with the idea of not eating hot food. It’s been sooo cold, and I really want hot soup and toast.
Any suggestions from those of you who may have been through this?

Comments

• I know what you mean. If you have a high speed blender you can make raw soups that are warmed by the friction of the blender, that’s good. Or drink lots of organic, herbal tea or hot lemon and honey is cozy. Make some dehydrated goodies, chilis, spaghetti and warm them for a little bit in the dehydrator, completely warm and lovely. Try that.

• Try using lots of ‘heating’ ingredients in your food – ginger, cayenne, garlic, etc. When I first made the transition, about 45 days ago, the first few weeks were pretty rough – I was almost always cold and spent a lot of time taking hot showers and drinking hot lemon tea. But, things are much better now, and I find that I’m able to tolerate cold temperatures much more reasonably, even better in fact than before I went raw. Do some experimenting. You’ll find some way to keep yourself warm.

Best to you.

• Thanks for the advice :D

• Hello, I have been reading tons on being raw, I am new also. What I am finding in several different cookbooks is that heating above the magic number of 118 degrees farenheit is the problem temperature. Above 118 the enzymes begin to denature (break apart) and are no longer in a useable form for your body so you body has to break them down completely then rebuild whatever it can to use. Warming foods to below 118 does not damage the enzymes and your body can use them “as is” attaining great benefits, as you know.

I hope this helps you to find you warm foods again!

I feel the same way, that is one reason I checked out every raw cookbook from the library I could find and found some more at BnN before deciding to go raw. I couldn’t give up warm foods. Since I like my food room temp or just above for the most part low temps are fine by me.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Why not just have some of the food you crave. It will make you feel nasty and help your body/mind to learn what is good and what is bad…

• So then is it still considered RAW to drink herbal teas with HOT water?? I'm confused...I mean tea isn't a food per say so is that the exception to the rule? Also...say I do want my food slightly warmed but not hot enough to not be considered RAW? How would I go about doing this if I am a poor college student who cannot afford a fancy dehydrator or anything like that?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

The tea is a personal call . . . I generally consider tea as medicinal, so I don't worry about the heat, but I still try not to use water that's *too* hot. Drinking hot or warm water can work as well. Ginger tea is especially warming.

As far as warming foods but keeping them raw, invest in a food/candy thermometer. That way you can heat soups on the stovetop and keep an eye on the temperature. Also, you can warm things in the oven--most people just use the coolest setting and leave the oven door ajar so it doesn't get too hot.

Spicy food is also great for warming you up!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Here are some helpful threads:

Tea

http://www.goneraw.com/forum/what-about-green-tea

Cold food

http://www.goneraw.com/forum/cold-cold-cold

I find it's normal to crave warm foods in the colder part of the year. In addition to the "warming foods" consider getting a lot of seasonal produce. I figure nature offers us certain foods at certain times of the year because that's when we're supposed to eat them! So we get heavy squashes in the winter, juicy fruits in the summer, etc.