Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Transitioning Foods

I was wondering what the best transitioning foods for a beginner are? Other than the prerequisite fruits, veggies, greens, & seeds (I’m allergic to nuts), what should I eat?

I read somewhere that you shouldn’t be 100% raw when just starting out, because then the body feels deprived.

What are some things that aren’t raw that would be okay to eat? (Or, what would be the “best” cooked foods?) Like crackers or whatnot. (I also can’t eat gluten, though, and have been munching on brown rice crackers.)

I also love Larabars. (Are they really 100% raw?)

Thanks for all your help!

Comments

• Hi ItGirl,

Although it’s not something I’ve used as a transition food myself, khichari – a traditional Ayurvedic dish – would be great for both easy digestion and assimilation. It’s a simple mix of rice, dhal, veggies, and carefully selected spices. Very calming, grounding, and emotionally satisfying – all important factors to take into consideration when making the transition. If you want a recipe, respond, and I’ll post a few later on this afternoon.

Best to you,

-Dave:)

• That would be great! Thanks!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I would say start with eliminating cooked fats, they’re probably the worst. So starting to eat raw fats would be a good idea- meaning, replace whatever cooked fats you have in your diet with raw ones. Processed food like packaged crackers and such are not great since you don’t know what’s “in them”; so slowly transition yourself to steamed gluten free grains like rice and millet. Eventually just eliminate those. It’s ok to still have cooked beans and steamed veggies as well- just don’t use heated fats with them.
    A good idea for transitioning would be to start making lots of really great raw smoothies and juices and to start increasing your raw green intake. Just listen to your body and let it happen naturally.

• ItGirl, I’ve found that flourless, sprouted bread is a wonderful transitioning food, Ezekial cinnamon-raisin is my favorite. I was a sweet and carbs addict at times and it has really made the transition so much easier. Also if you find some veggies hard to stomach raw at first, try having them lightly steamed once or twice before having them raw. Also delicious dressings and dips that are on this and other website can help a transitioning palate. Just make sure you don’t use too much so that you can taste the food in it’s delicious rawness. Best of luck!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I ate loads of recipes when I was transitioning. And a lot of nuts.

The “gourmet” raw recipes which are reminisant of cooked foods, and are often dehydrated is what is normally meant by “transtion foods”.

These are the staples of getting started. I couldn’t have done it without raw pizzas, burgers, bread, ravioli, pies and cakes. But the further you go along, the less you feel like eating these things. You become naturally drawn to just having fresh salad, or fruit, or just smoothies and juices, and only recipe food once in a while. You can substitute any nut with sunflower seeds or other seeds in any recipes with nuts in without it. Sometimes it tastes better that way.

I transitioned from cooked vegan to raw.If you’re going from SAD to raw then I’d suggest first adding one or two green smoothies to your daily diet. Then cut out pre made processed food. Then meat, then dairy, then cooked food.

I think it can be good to do it by adding raw meals, treats, drinks and snacks, getting used to it and then taking something out of your diet, to focus on abundance and variety instead of depravation.

If you get a heavy detox when 100% and want it to stop just eat some cooked food and it will slow down or stop it depending on what you ate.

You are going to feel amazing, just go for it!

• Hi Itgirl,

Still interested in the khichari recipes? There have been lots of good suggestions here, many of which don’t require cooking. This would be the ideal way to go. But, if you’re still interested in using khichari for digestive and transitional support, I would be glad to help. I’m not sure I would feel comfortable posting non-raw recipes on a raw forum, so, email me if it’s something you want to pursue. Haha, I kind of feel like I’m making a drug deal here. Best to you on your raw journey!

-Dave:)

• Zoe, I’m going from vegan to raw (read my profile), and the only cooked foods I eat are mainly brown rice or flax & millet crackers.

Dave, I’ll definitely be in touch for those recipes!

• Hi I’d be interested in the khichari recipes as well Dave. Also just a general question- I have to avoid wheat as well, I was surprised to see Ezekial bread mentioned. I think I am confused as to the definition of a sprouted bread.
    thanks!