Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Just starting off, i think i need some advice.

Hi my name is Joyee. I am 14 years old, and I’ve always thought about going vegetarian…
I just found out about going raw today when I was watching a show on E, called diet fads,
It was talking about Raw Vegans, and was pulled in.
it was talking about how you lose weight, but losing weight is not my motive, the show said that it is much more healthy with more vitamins and all that jazz.

I’m Highly considering going raw, and vegan both.
but i dont know how to start, nor where to start.

I also what to try making some raw foods, any ideas for easy recipes?
(I was a vegetarian for two years before, so not eating meat won’t be a problem)
I just need some advice on how to start this new eating habit and lifestyle.

Comments

• OneOne

Hey Joyee, i recommend that you read a book called Raw Living by Kate Wood. It explains alot about food and has lots of great recipes. Hopefully you can get the book where you live, and if you can’t then you should try and find some other raw books. I think having a meal plan is great when you start so you know what you will be eating. It’s probably good to start about 80 % raw, and slowly transition into the change. That way you will be more balanced and it won’t be such a shock to your system. Good luck hun

• They called the raw diet a fad? Hmmph. It is not a fad. At first, I thought I was going to eat raw as an experiment, but now I don’t want to eat any other way. It rarely gets dull because there are so many foods to experiment with: nut milks, sprouts, salads, squash pasta, crackers, nut cheeses, brownies, puddings, etc. This diet introduced me to so many new fruits and veggies: mangos, fennel, celeriac, young coconuts, beets, figs, jicama. Such fun.

For the first few days you probably want to keep it simple and add more fruits, shakes, and salads to your diet. I agree with One that 80% is probably a good place to start. Since you’re 14 and still growing, you don’t want to risk a nutritional deficiency. Try sprinkling sesame seeds and flax seeds on your food so that you get some calcium and fatty acids.

• thank you, i’ll take a peek at barnes and noble tomorrow to see if i can find “Raw living”
    Just curious, but where do you buy a dehydrater, and approx. how much does it cost?

• Hi Joy – I am not sure where you can get a dehydrator but you could try looking on ebay – I think the prices vary depending on what model you go for. I don’t do 100% raw either mostly because I live remotely and I don’t have access to (or can afford!) a wide variety of ingredients to make the diet varied enough. But I do love eating raw and do so when ever I can. Good luck with eating raw :o)

• Hi Joyee! What got me started and really interested was the book RAW FOOD real world, by Sarma Menigellis and Matthew Kenney. There are a lot of great pictures and recipes and a lot of good info. The recipes in this book seemed complicated and daunting at first, so for recipes, I like Ani’s Raw by Ani Phyo and Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cormbleet. You can also pull many great recipes from this site as well as others online. But, to get you started and excited about going raw, I do suggest the RAW FOOD, and also Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens, M.D. Also, if you ever have doubts about becoming vegetarian/vegan, I’d highly recommend The China Study. (can’t remember author’s name offhand) Once you get into raw and are comfortable with new eating habits, I’d definitely look into 80/10/10 by Doug Graham.

Hope this helps!! And hopefully you can find some of these at the library!! =)