Negative reaction to flax seed?

Has anyone had a negative reaction to flax seed? I was eating flax seed crackers (Foods Alive brand) regularly for about two months, then all of a sudden, I started having horrible stomach pain and nausea after eating them. I’ve experimented enough with my food intake that I’m now positive it’s the flax seed crackers and nothing else that’s causing my stomach problems. I looked around on the internet but couldn’t find any information about this type of reaction to flax seed. Flax seed allergy manifests like a peanut allergy, with shortness of breath and throat closing, but my symptoms are entirely stomach related. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar reaction to flax seed or knows anything about why I might be having this reaction. Thanks so much.

Comments

• I love flax seeds, but I rarely eat more than a couple tablespoons at a time. Flax crackers contain a lot of fiber and can irritate the gut. The only commercially sold flax crackers that I’ve seen are marketed as laxatives.

• Wow. Well that’s definitely the effect it’s had on me—a total laxative. Thanks for posting!