Nuts at Trader Joe's - link to other website

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I’ve been reading this thread about the rawness (or not) of nuts at Trader Joe’s. The last post I read is by someone who talked to her store manager, The manager told her that there are no raw nuts at TJ’s and that almost all the produce is irradiated. You might want to take a look:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?p=376…

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I don’t believe all the produce is irradiated! I’ve seen produce go bad and moldy at TJ’s… and irradiated food wouldn’t go bad… at least not while it’s in the store… I’m sure they sell produce pretty ‘quicklky’.

Plus,(from what we understand) it cannot have the USDA certified organic seal if it’s irradiated.

I haven’t see the thread/link you sent.

• After reading your post I was curious myself whether Trader Joe’s nuts were indeed raw. So I thought what better than to ask the source themselves. I contacted Trader’s via email and here is the response I received:

“Thanks for your question. Trader Joe’s Raw Almonds are pasteurized with
    steam. They have been pasteurized since 2004. They are considered araw food as they are not heated above 115 degrees and food is still
    considered live and active if not heated above 120 degrees. It has been
    industry standard that raw almonds be pasteurized since 2004 and the
    problems with salmonella and raw almonds occurred. If you are after
    non-pasteurized almonds, we offer Raw Valencia Almonds from Spain.
    I hope this helps! Marci Trader Joe’s Customer Relations”

So technically, does this mean that their ‘raw’ nuts are in fact raw?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Satchy: Technically YES… but what do the mandatory pasteurization ‘regulations’ say about what temperature is required for pasteurizing?

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

If you can sprout or grow them then they are still raw. Seeds are probably your best bet. Unhulled sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, have all sprouted for me. If you are not sure about the nuts in grocery stores then two options would be to either replace them with avos or order them from a distributer that either carries them or grows them themselves. Almonds and cashews are the two main nuts that can not be found raw just anywhere. Websites like livingnuts.com and livingtreecommunity.com both carry raw nuts, especially cashews and almonds.

• I myself have quite a bias against TJs. I have shopped there twice, and both times were a bad experience. I bought nuts there, they tasted like garbage, I bought frozen fruit, it was not so good. I bought apples and tomatoes, neither one were of good quality. I bought “fresh” mejool dates not only did they taste horrible there was a dead beetle in the container. My opinion is TJs is just another Aldi.