Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Your thoughts on MACA

Maca….how do you use it? (in smoothies?) and is it worth it? I bought some for cheap on ebay…

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I love my maca! I don’t use it regularly but when I do, I do notice the boost in energy as well as the upped sex drive. I usually put it into smoothies or puddings. I think it goes well with chocolate, or nutty flavors. Hope you enjoy it :-)

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I put 1 TBSP per serving of smoothie over the past several months. Some hormone issues I was having are resolving and I am not losing my muscle as fast when I have to stop my reg. lifting routine. It seems to be a wonderful adaptogen for my hubby and I.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Def worth it. Maca has been used for many years for retaining muscle mass, providing stamina, and as a potent aphrodisiac. Like cocnutty said it goes awesome with chocolate. I have a cacao smoothie everyday which includes maca, cacao, fo-ti, reishi mushroom, bananas, goji berries, mesquite, carob,spirulina, and Pau D’ Arco herbal tea for the base. You cant get much better than that :) If you want the recipe just ask!

V

• I love my smoothies with a tbsp of Maca in them. Now, I was originally putting it in with Cacao powder as well but I hated them. I am one of the few that does NOT like cacao and Maca paired up. Once I dropped the cacao in my smoothies I enjoyed the flavour of the Maca much more. Enjoy! Jaclyn.

• I add it to desserts as a flavoring. The malty taste makes them seem richer.

• I would like that cacao recipe with Maca Humanimal. Where does Maca come from anyway? Also I am unfaminiar with fo-ti. What is that? Thanks for info.
    Marcy

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I use maca all the time. I originally bought it to try it because it is an adaptogen, good for thyroid hormone regulation. I eat it now because I like the flavor! It works like wheat flour to thicken things like soups, sauces and smoothies only it doesn’t have a raw flour taste. It’s also good in crackers, cookies, cakes, pie crusts and breads.

• what is maca powder and where do i buy it? i went to the health food store to buy it, well what i thought was maca was really matcha. sooo… now im on the hunt to find maca.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Maca is a root vegetable which can only grow at high altitudes where there is not much else growing. This means that like Goji Berries it is densely nutritious as the animals and people who live in such inhospitable places get as much nourishment as is possible with just a few available plants. In places like Peru where it grows it is eaten like how we’d eat potatoes or turnips, as a vegetable meal or accompaniment to a meal. They only maca I can find is powdered. I wish I could buy the root.

I first tried it a year or two ago and I didn’t like it, now I am trying it again, and I am finding it hard to find a way to take it that I like. I think it ruins my green smoothie! I just hear so much good about it that I really want to test it out for myself.
    Maybe if I came up with a savoury recipe with it in, hmmm…

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

hey Mairzee_dotes I posted the recipe. Its called Smoothie of the Gods. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

V

• Thanks Humanimal. I looked up the Pau D’Arco but everywhere it tells about it, it says to make a “decoction” by boiling it and not to steep it as in tea. I wonder why?
    This recipe sounds great and I plan on trying it soon.
    Marcy

• Ive been using maca for a while and its a great energy source and also I have 2 agree with the increase in the libido stuff lol .Well here (chile) I can find it pretty cheap all organic and raw, also mixed with raw organic amaranth in some bag called macavit, I think it also have some local herb called quiwicha sp?,,but normally I tend to buy just maca anyway, so I highly recomend it.

Ange.
  • heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

thanks for all the replies! I picked up a bag from ebay for $6. woohoo :)

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

6 bucks! Yeah sounds like a good deal to me!!! For how much, how big of a bag did you get?

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Got it in the mail the other day…it’s a damn small bag, LOL! Ill have to pick some more up from Whole Foods. It tastes odd…

• I’ve been adding maca to just about everything these days. It hides nicely in my dips and cookies and spreads… oh and smoothies.

oh and I got mine from amazon.

• I love it in a smoothie from my Vitamix with bananas, sunflowerseeds, a bit of agave nectar or dates, cinnamon, the maca, and a bit of water. Delish!

• gypsycowgirlgypsycowgirl Raw Newbie

The Pau D’Arco tea has to be boiled for a while in order to extract the affective ingredients out of it—it is a very affective anti-fungal for candida and fungal infections and to help with cancer.

• Does the Pau D’ Arco have a strong/or distinct flavor? Good, bad,or does it grow on you-lol I would like to try it and MACA in my kefir,strawberry,bee pollen,flax seed, and raw honey smoothie.

• Is Maca a stimulant or just an adaptogen? Do you need to start the day with it, or could you have it with maybe a mashed banana before bed? How much, how often is it recommended. I have it, I tried it, just can’t get into it, though I definately need for all the reasons mentioned.