Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

substiture for raw almonds???

shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Sadly, since the beginning of September 07, in the USA, we no longer have the freedom to eat raw almonds. They are now all roasted lightly with either heat or chemicals (no way of knowing which one they used), This is because someone got sick and thought it was the almonds. Yet, we are allowed to drink and smoke and we can get away with illegal drugs as long as we were careful. AND, we can take legal drugs. It is healthy because Doctors say so, so we can be drugged up, and it is OKay. a messed up world. What can I use instead of almonds?

Comments

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

generally hazelnuts and walnuts work, but keep in mind you can still get truly raw european sourced almonds. i get them from a farmer in spain i know directly, but you can also get them at livingnutz.com

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I use sunflower seeds and pine nuts to substitute, I like to use white nuts and seeds to substitute for white nuts and dark nuts to sub dark nuts.

If you use the walnuts make sure you soak them, it takes the bitterness away and they taste sooo much better.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

we use brazil nuts as a substitute or a combination of brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

If you really want raw almonds go to www.livingtreecommunity.com They sell a lot of raw nut products. If you still want a substitute I would recommend walnuts or pecans. There so many options out there. Walnuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds are the best because they contain high levels of Omega 3s. Hope that helps!

V

Pecans! You are so right! I forgot about them and they do have that slightly sweet taste.

• I am lucky enough to live in central California were all the almonds are grown and I get them straight from the farmers in season before they get pasteurized and I pay a whopping two dollars a pound for them.
    Raw unpasteurized almonds are very easy to find out here and can be had at any farmers market, though for a bit more then what I pay.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Rawmama – How d’you manage to get raw brazil nuts, do you shell them yourself? I love them so much but I just couldn’t face a pile of hard shelled nuts to crack! And all the unshelled ones aren’t raw. Same for pecans…:(

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

The shells are boiled for 5 minutes but personally, I think that this would still make the inner nut….raw.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

youryogi,

I could be wrong but a video on you tube by blindguru said that if you sell raw almonds, you could have up to 20 years in prison. Maybe those almonds are not raw when you think they are??? @ dollars is a great price!

The store I buy them from, an Amish store, on the bag it says Raw Brazil Nuts. I’ve never heard that they are all boiled before. I just went by what David Wolfe said on one of the tapes I have which is everybody should have 3 Brazil Nuts a day and that they are one of the remaining nuts that are still in their untouched natural state…will have to look into the boiling thing because we’ve switched to them almost exclusively when it comes to recipes that require bulk amount of nuts. :( Family members have an allergy to Walnuts and even Pecans (but not me).

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

wholesale-almonds.com

10 lbs for around $55 (shipping was included, click on the BULK tab). you can choose between organic or IPM (integrated pest management). that’s $5.55/lb!

i got nonpareil and they are the best nuts i have EVER had.

p.s. they are unpasteurized because the law mandates that distributors, not growers, pasteurize. buying direct from the farm (or via internet), you are buying from a “grower.”

• Shgadwa,

Some almonds in the local market here may not be 100% raw but the I know the ones I get are and there are a few locals vendors who sell them here regardless of the law. I trust my local farmers here in Central California, and have a good relationship with them and probably get around 80% of all my produce locally from them.

We have a good raw following here and it’s a great area for fresh produce straight from the ground to the table. In season it’s not uncommon to go the local market and find all the produce picked that morning.

Cheers

• I have been llergic to almonds for several years. SO I have subed hazelnuts in all recipes calling for almonds since I started raw 3 years ago. Hazelnuts make a good milk and they also make a fab cheese. You might think it would be dark due to the skins but it’s not at all.

They are also great for using in place of almond flour. I make an amazing cinnamon rolls from the milk pulp.

If you can find them, filberts, are actually very nutritious but challenging to find in the US.