Making Ice Cream-GreenPower Juicer

rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Hi,
I have a Green Power Juicer and want to make ice cream with frozen fruit. The manual doesn’t mention how to insert the blanking plate.

1. Should the hole be up or down?
2. Should the hole be closer to the front or the back of the juicer (it’s not centered on the plate)?
3. Should I put the adjustment knob on the front of the juicer or not?

I tried it hole down, to the front of the juicer and frozen fruit was coming out the front and the middle. So tried it hole up and it was sort of messy.

On the website, Juliano is not using the adjustment knob, but in the manual, for one dessert, it says to put the knob on. I did call Tribest customer service and they said, “I think…” to every answer they gave me. Not a definite “You need to do this…” type answer. Ugh :( Thanks for your help!

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I have a manual and it shows a picture on 15. The opening goes down and the thicker side goes in first.. Hope this helps. I have the green star 2000 and I just got it before Christmas.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Thank you so much! My manual is for the Green Power, which is similar, but the manual isn’t :(
    Do you put the adjustment knob on the front of the juicer when making ice cream, or leave it off?

I haven’t quite figured out that knob (LOL) I left it closed. I homogenized soaked almonds going for almond butter. It worked fine but I will probably try to whip it up (after homogenizing) in my vita-mix next time because although it is crushed well, it ins’t creamy like it should be. Also if you homogenize dates, put them thru with other stuff because I spent 20 min picking and scrubbing that muck off!

A friend of mine said that almonds are too dry, not enough oil, so she does a combination of almonds and cashews and it gets smoother. Or you could use pine nuts instead with almonds. Or you can add a tiny bit of oil, worth another try :)??? Thanks for the heads up on the dates, I can imagine that task would have been a headache to say the least! Dates homogenized well with my hand held Braun blender, do you have one of those? I tried the bullet, that didn’t work well, and it would have been too thick for the vitamix, but the hand-held blender really did the trick.

I do have a Braun handblender. It made the best soups! I’ll have to try that next time. I was making a bread with a base of sprouted wheat and I should have thrown the dates in while homogenizing the wheat but I forgot and just put them in afterwards. What a mess! Good luck with your ice cream. I made my hubby strawberry banana in the vitamix the other night and it was good.

• I have a Green Power. For ice cream you can go either way, if the hole is open it will just come out there as well! Might as well leave it closed, but it’s not a big deal.

deborahann, I’ll have to try the vitamix next time. Do you think it was smoother in the vitamix vs the juicer? We actually were doing a banana strawberry today when I was trying to figure out how to put in this attachment!

cannibalwarrior: Do you leave the front nozzle area open or keep the adjustment knob in the front? Funny that the book doesn’t give any details on any of this :(

Thank you both for your help :)

deborahann, about those dates…on page 21 of the greenstar online manual (I just found it on their site), it says: Dried fruits and nuts can be very sticky on the inside surfaces of the juicer. To remove the residue more easily run a couple of stalks of celery through before disassembling the machine.

• I have done it both ways. Since I usually choose the lazier path, I leave it out so I don’t have to screw/unscrew it and wash it. Then after putting the banana through, I push the ice cream that went through that hole with my finger so it comes all the way out. I also make sure the bowl can catch what comes out of that part. Mmmm, if it wasn’t winter I would be having some now!

Thanks for the celery trick, I will do that next time. My vita-Mix ice cream came out very smooth- Like sherbert. I haven’t done it yet in the green star