Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dehydrators

Hey Everyone,

I’ve been lurking on the site for a while now, trying recipes and reading a few threads.

It seems that a big help for me to eat more raw foods might be to buy a food dehyrdator. I’ve looked around at Target and such places, but can’t seem to find one. So I figure I might just order one online. But before I do, I’d like to get everyone’s opinions on them. Are there any types you might suggest (or not suggest) and what should I be looking for? I know it is important to find one with adjustable temperatures, but beyond that, I am pretty clueless.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
ObLaDi

Comments

• I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond. It is made by Nesco and ran $60 (look for the 20% off coupons!). You can select temperatures as low as 95F/35C. It comes with an insert that you can use when making crackers or crusts and you can purchase additional sheets and trays at the store or online. It was a great investment!

• I just got mine on Ebay, and I’m using it for the first time this weekend… I bought a Ronco 5 tray dehydrator (previously used) for $25. It works great & I think I will be using this quite often. Looking back, I’d like to spend my money on a more expensive model, like an Excalibur, or some other brand that has a thermostat control—I’ve been rotating the trays around frequently!

• Ebay is a very good place to start looking for appliances that are not too expensive to get you started.

• Hi guys, since you’re talking about dehydrators, I was wondering about temperatures. My new (and expensive) oven has a dehydrate setting, but the lowest temperature is 120F. Is this too high? I heard 115F was the highest you should go. Does anyone know about this?

• PamPam

Excalibur is the dehydrator most raw foodists use. It comes in 4, 5 and 9 tray models and is available online. I purchased all of mine from rawguru.com. Don’t bother with the 4 tray unless you are really space constained because it has only half the drying space of the 5 tray.

Neddotronik, 120 is too high. Since the temperature of the dehydrator can vary by about 10 degrees, 105 is the recommended temp. That way, if the dehydrator goes up to 115, you’re still below the recommended max temperature.

• Thanks Pam! I guess I’ll be buying an Excalibur too!

• It depends what type or quality you want. My sister-in-law got an Excalibur at a garage sale! I was a bit jealous! :0) But sometimes you can find great stuff at yard sales.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Cabelas is another good brand.

Basically, you want the fan on the side like Excalibur and Capela… since they will dry more evenly and you won’t have to move trays around. And, of course, the thermostat should be adjustable below 120… even down to 95… or lower?

• so i have found that on this website you can get things cheaper new than on ebay used.

www.vitalityplus1.com

plus they have great write ups on each item