Soaking seeds and nuts

I’m kind of new to Raw. Kudos to the website and all you members! I’ve read that soaking nuts and seeds is necessary to release the enzyme inhibitors and make digestion and assimilation easier. First, does anyone have a soaking time chart with all nuts and seeds? Second, I’ve noticed many recipes are not soaking the nuts. Is it really necessary to soak? I’ve been soaking and dehydrating whenever it calls for “unsoaked” nuts, but am I wasting time?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, it’s necessary to soak to remove enzyme inhibitors. Germinating causes the food to change from dormant to alive… and its nutrients increase. Some nuts higher in fat than protein can change to higher in protein than fat after germinating.

Typically you can germinate nuts for up to 48 hours (changing water 3-4 times a day) and seeds for up to 24 hours (changing water 3-4 times a day). Store them in water in the refrigerator changing the water daily or every 2 days. Or you can dehydrate them for longer storage – weeks.

If the nuts/seeds smell funny while changing water, keep rinsing them until the smell goes away. If the smell does not go away… throw them away! They are no good.

I do the same thing… I soak when it calls for unsoaked. Or I soak and dehydrate. But, maybe if the recipe has pineapple or papaya, it would be okay… because they have protein enzymes to aid in digestion of protein.