confused body

Hi all.. I’ve been pretty raw for about 8 months but prior to being raw I had lost about 20 lbs and years ago was on birth control. Once I stopped the pill and lost all that weight its been 3 years since I’ve been able to get my period on my own. I just started on maca in hopes to stabilize my hormones but its been a month and still no period. I know my period has nothing to do with being raw because the trouble started way before I became raw so Im not sure what to do! Any advice??

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I abruptly stopped having mine around march o6, well before I even heard about raw. I had dropped about 10-15 ponds of weight that I had been trying to lose for 20 yrs (freshman 15!). Hormone levels showed a slightly low estrogen. The Dr thought low body fat but I was probably 15-18% nowhere near too low. I am finally beginning to normalize and although I am using some Std Process hormone support supp’s, I think the maca I started in Oct is finally kicking in. I also use emeritas OTC progesterone cream for perimen. I have had 2 normal cycles in a row so I will probably go to just maca as the supp’s run out. I have also eliminated as many chemicals from my environment as I can- soaps, lotions, make-ups, etc. Hopefully I remain normal but I went at least 1 yr with nothing,then a real light period here and there. I think 12%body fat is the critical level for cycling.

• Thank you so much for your reply. Do you think I should continue to try maca? I am just concerned about my bone health and the fact that since I am not having a period, there is an increased chance of getting ovarian cancer. I really don’t want to go on birth control but it is the only way I get my period. My blood work showed that I do have low estrogen levels and my hair has thinned as well. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I think thyroid problems could also cause some of what you are seeing, too. If my symptoms had been a little more complicated or I didn’t feel I was progressing, I was going to go to a Naturopathic Dr. so I could have my hormone levels monitored. I thought about buying some home saliva test kits, but I’d rather have the guidance of someone who’s worked with this before. I had also assumed that because I was healthy SAD at the time that my pH would be alkaline and It isn’t. I fight to get alkaline and the best AM reading I’ve had so far (saliva) has been 6.8 . I’d rather be 7-7.2. As I improve though,I feel better. I think a chronically acid pH causes a lot of various problems in the body. I think the maca shouldn’t hurt anything. It is a wonderful adaptogen. Someone posted a link on a maca thread to a product called magic maca and it gave a good write-up of all the benefits. It is a fairly fecent thread but I don’t know how to post those links!