Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Skin Product recommendations

so i have recently gone raw after years of being a pretty healthy vegetarian. now that i a constantly in the habit of monitoring what i eat (and enjoying it), i can help but take notice of all the unnatural stuff i come in contact with. i am ready to give up my fancy skin products that have no ingredients i can pronounce, but as i have very sensitive dry acne prone skin i am hesitating to try something new. anyone have any gentle good products they can recommend. looking for cleansers, toners moisturizers, etc

thanks!

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’ve been rubbing olive oil onto my wet face, then wiping it off with a cotton wad before going to bed. It gets off all cosmetics and even eye make-up. I also rub a bit of coconut oil on my skin from time to time. I usually do these in the evening before sleep and in the morning I just rinse my skin with warm water. Since my skin is still soft from the night before, I don’t bother with moisturizer. I used to have acne prone oily skin, but cleaning up my diet and simplifying my cleaning routine have done wonders for my skin!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, first cold-pressed olive oil for the skin. Thanks for the reminder Carmentina, I’ve been having dry skin recently and haven’t tried much to ‘fix’ that.

Also, when I made an avocado dressing… I had chapped lips… so I just smeared some avocado on my lips. That was fun! It worked for me.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

my raw friend just launched a website with wonderful all natural products.. check it out at www.poshorganix.com

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer, i use it every day.
    in terms of cleansers, i use a more expensive high end cleanser from a line called “hylunia”, which is the only line that uses colloidal silver instead of parabens as a preservative, and is 100% natural and cruelty free. really fantastic products.

• I love virgin coconut oil on the face as well. I make natural organic skincare products you might like: www.greenridgeherbals.com

I’m trying to add more totally “raw” products since I have been eating totally “raw.” Free gift if you mention goneraw.com (I love this site!)

• Oh I like this topic. I have slowly been transitioning all of my beauty products to animal free, and I am looking for a good facial cleanser that is foamy and lathery. The one I am currently using is a foaming mousse cleanser, that leaves my skin feeling soft, not squeeky. I am looking for something similar that is animal free if anyone can make a suggestion! Thanks!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I work with some great skin care products. The products contain water filtered with the Wellness Filter that does not support the growth of bacteria and fungus. Therefore, products are parabens free. The water also promotes increased hydration of the skin. All products have been tested on humans (willing volunteers) only, no animals. Sample trial kits are available.

• Thanks for the link bluedolphin. Have you used the Optimal Face Cleansing Cream? It sounds similar to what I am looking for…

• mychelle dermaceuticals is nice. They have starter/sample packs for $10. They have another gift set that includes the fruit enzyme spray for $21. You actually get more variety with the $10 pack, plus the sample containers seemed more filled up. I personally liked the cucumber facial cleanser and the blueberry anti-oxidant mask. Everything smells so good too!

Your welcome Renoir~ Honestly, I don’t use anything special for my skin unless I have some type of wound. Growing up I had ultra sensitive skin (which was a nightmare… now, with work, my immune system and skin are much better) so I avoid makeup and the such. If you would like to speak to someone who has used the skin care system, contact me and I can arrange a conference call. People who are using the products are raving about them and are getting awesome results.

• Maybe I will try a sample trial kit you mentioned to see if I like it before I spend a bunch of money… I have done that before and been stuck with cleansers I didn’t like just because the were pricey. Do I find an option for that on the website? Or are the products sold in stores? Thanks.

They are not available in stores. The sample kit is a great idea to start with. The company has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Enjoy!

• If I were you- and your skin sounds rather sensitive and complicated- I would consult a naturopathic doctor.

As for myself I am going through quite a few natural moisturizers and cleansers. There is definitely a difference in the products I try. I wish I could name them here but I’ve forgotten the brands. But I must say the moisturizer I’ve liked the best thus far would be http://www.fruitfulyield.com/_cspimg/pictures.jpeg. It’s the same brand but a facial moisturizer. I didn’t know they made facial washes too! I’ll definitely have to check that out. My skin is dry also and breaks out easily. With this lotion I did not break out once and it kept my skin freshly moisturized.

• gypsycowgirlgypsycowgirl Raw Newbie

If you want totally raw beauty products, try www.rawgaia.com I haven’t tried their products yet but they sound totally awesome and they don’t have things that you can’t pronounce in the ingredient list.

I use cocout oil on my face most of the time and it works great—my skin is dry! Also, have used jojoba oil around my eyes and grape seed oil and they are wonderful too!

• I make my own skin care products and I love it. I have very sensitive skin so most lotions irritated my skin or they were just to expensive. One day I looked up natural skin care recipes on a search engine and viola, the choice were endless. Most of the recipe are easy and simple to make.It makes me feel good to know that I can make delicious living foods for the inside of my body and natural skin care products for the out side, kind of like a total body treatment in a sense.

• i use dr. bronner’s peppermint organic soap for everything but may cause stinging sensations but not that bad. i don’t mind cause i like the smell plus i heard bugs don’t like the smell of peppermint. I got bed bugs in the quality inn in atlantic city. they may have gotten into my hair. they have diffent scents and nonscented for non stinging.now i just use organic olive oil for facial moisturizer and blot with tissue.it works better than any expensive lotion i bought. come to think of it i have saved money doing that. i used to spend a lot of money hoping to find the right products but the best are low price.

• My skin used to be blotchy and acne prone. I stopped using all skin care products on my face. I use a face loofa in the shower every few days to eliminate the dead skin and when the winter weather is dry, I use raw shea butter, but only every few days. I let my body take care of my skin.

• I had been using just coconut oil on my skin but my skin broke out a lot! So I went back to my old moisturiser and now I’m trying to figure out what I should do. I just got a book that was recommended by a few people, “Earthly Bodies and Heavenly Hair” by Dina Falconi, Last night I tried the almond oil cleansing that she suggests (just massage almond oil into your face for a few minutes then wipe it off with a cotton ball) but this morning I think I am breaking out again – yuck! My skin can get very rashy and is this strange combination where it seems to be oily and dry at the same time. The only time my skin was smooth and radiant was when I was eating a ton of fruit (last summer) but even though my skin looked incredible it was waaaay too much sugar for me – I had yeast flare-ups and had to go off fruit for 2 weeks to get my body back to normal!

Is this normal for my skin to break out from using natural oils for skin care? If I know it’s going to get better I can stick with it but I don’t want to have worse skin than I did when I was a teenager! Help!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

First of all, plenty of water will do wonders for the skin. Try 3 quarts a day if 2 quarts isn’t doing it. And salt really helps water penetrate all cells, so don’t be afraid of salt.
    Anyone looking for a good facial cleanser must look up the oil cleansing method. Basically, work vegetable oil into your face (usually olive with some castor oil), soak a washcloth in hot water, wring it out, put it on your face for a minute or so, then rub off the oil with the washcloth. If this is too heavy, you can work in a tiny drop of natural cleanser before the washcloth, but really I think the straight oil works great for the vast majority of people. It does take off makeup. A tiny bit of shea butter makes a great moisturizer when needed.
    PS: I think the hot washcloth works better to get excess oil off than a cotton ball, as some have suggested here.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Tonya Zavasta has an amazing facial cream and mask.And also an amazing face brush.I love them !!!
    http://www.beautifulonraw.com/natural_beauty_st…

• Thanks ambiguous, I’ll try the hot washcloth and see if that helps! My skin thinks I’m 18 again, in theory this is good but I can do without the pimples.

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I noticed the rough skin on the bottom of my feet went away when I went raw.

For face cream I used $3 generic hydrocortisone cream.

I know now that there is nothing you can put on top of your skin that can disguise poor health and hygiene created by a bad (dairy) diet.

• The best skin care products are MSM products or raw oils such as olive or coconut oil.BE carefull with reading labels because 1 st cold pressed or extra virgen could go up to heats of 170 degrees. Make sure you buy only stone crushed first cold press extra virgen olive oil and make sure that the extra virgen coconut oil is processed with heat no higher than 115 degrees.