Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dead foods???

http://purelyraw.com/deadfoodlist.htm

what is everyones take on this?

if it’s true
what are good substitutions for items that are on this list?

Comments

• I think I need to make myself more clear…on this list are things lots of raw recipes call for such as nama shoyu and agave which I have always considered to be raw…..anyone else in the same boat?

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I personally don’t consider those things raw. They are extras that certainly help with food preparation and getting a variety out of meals. I do use some of these ingredients though not with every meal, and in moderation.

I understand they are not raw, but I eat them anyways because they have no negative effect on my body (that I can feel) and it’s not like eating a double bacon cheese burger haha.

• When I was transitioning, I still ate almost all of the things on that list. Over time I’ve cut all of them out (except nori and olive oil) because I noticed that I felt bloated and tired whenever I ate them. Your tastes start to change when you eat a lot of raw foods. You need fewer sweeteners (like agave) and less salt (from shoyu).

You should not consider any of them forbidden, but you should pay attention to how they make you feel, and whether or not they agree with your digestion.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

the dead food list on purelyraw is TRUE

• Substitute dates for agave or maple syrup. Use Sea Salt instead of Nama Shoya or Braggs (you can mix salt with warm water if the recipe needs the liquid).

Sciabica Olive Oil is raw. I know the producers, and I trust them when they say cold pressed and unfiltered and confirm that the olive oil is raw. (OK, so they are my cousins!) One of my cousins who works the Sciabica booth at the SF farmer’s market is a raw foodist himself. www.sciabica.com

Zoe & Chris can give you more info too.

• Renoir, I always buy Sciabica olive oil! =D My favorite is the jalapeno one. I like the lemon, too.

• It is becoming truly difficult to find out what is TRULY raw.

• Sciabica Orange Olive Oil is sooooo good in brownies!! I love the Basil Olive Oil on salads, and I use the Lemon a lot too. I am spoiled!

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

If they are dead, they are dead.
    But, it also depends if your goal is 100% raw. If you eat them, you aren’t 100%.
    But if you aren’t looking for 100% (but still be really raw) I don’t think they’re too much of an issue especially in smaller doses and definitely better than meat or something less healthy.
    Dates are awesome sub for sugar too! Buy nuts in the shell and crack them yourself (though its tough to get them to come out whole.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Staying off the foods on our Dead Food List made going raw so much easier for us.

It was only when I went totally 100% raw that my cravings and yo yoing finally stopped and I was happliy and contentedly purely raw.

To stay that way I just stay as raw as I can. When I cheat or slip up and eat something cooked, the cravings and bad uncomforatble feelings physically and mentally happen again.
    The same happened to Chris, so this is why we put the Dead Food List on our website. Realising that it was the pretend raw foods in our diet, making eating raw hard for us was the biggest turning point we had with Raw Foods.

Thanks for your words of support for it here…sometimes it feels like we’re the bad guys spoiling some raw foodists’s chocolate and sushi fest…but as they say, the truth will set you free!

• Oh my goodness! I finally signed up just so I could reply to this thread because I can’t believe people have heard of Sciabica! Mr. Sciabica is sometimes at the booth at our farmer’s market because the company I think is based here (Modesto), and I’m thrilled to learn that it is completely raw. I always worried about that. They sell tasty black olives, too, but I’m not sure how they’re made and I don’t know if they’re raw.