B12...how badly do we need it?

I wanted to share this multi-page document I found on the topic of B12:

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12

I’ve been mainly vegan for several years now and figured that between losing my taste for the fortified rice-milk (it’s not raw anyway) and my very occasional tastings of items containing eggs or meat (ack!)....it seems it just wasn’t enough. I’ve been starting to wonder if I was getting enough B12 in my diet for some time now. I’ve been strictly vegan for the past few weeks. Just this week, I’ve started to notice some unusual numbness in my extremedies…and it’s really got me worried.

I’ve come to the conclusion that while it may have been easy for our ancestors to enjoy a vegan diet without concern for adequate B12, we just can’t maintain veganism in our industrialized world without some serious supplementation. Even with probiotics, fortified nutritional yeast, kimchi and raw saurkraut, my B12 stores have run out. Apparently your liver’s B12 stores can keep you going for several years on a vegan diet (symptom free) until they run out.

Personally, I have found that eating raw vegan is so healthful in so many ways, and I’ve decided that artificially supplementing my body with the B12 it needs is off-set by the diet’s benefits. I’m going to stick to it.

I’m going to restock my B12 according to this advice:
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec

I would love to hear everyone else’s thoughts and experiences on the topic of B12. Is anyone actively supplementing with B12? What inspired you to do it? What do you use?

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

There is an intrinsic factor required for the uptake of B12 and apparently omnivores also can have a problem with it. You don’t have to be vegan to have a deficiency. I have my blood checked every year and once a couple of years ago I was mildly anemic and the red cell parameters showed Lg cells. This is what B12 deficiency can do and although I never pursued B12 measurement,I did start taking it as a supplement. This was well before I gave up meat. I actually started taking the cyanocobalamine form which is inferior but on my next check, my blood was normal. I now take a methylcobalamine form although many will say use the sublingual type. That would eliminate absorption from the bowel and the need for intrinsic factor. I have read in several books that it is safest to supplement and I agree. I personally have no problem using supplements to help with specific problems as my body heals. I also use some for general support of organ function because I have a job that exposes me to a lot of toxins. I think my poor liver takes a beating so a bit of NAC, TMG and Acetyl L Carnitine to help with enzymatic function is good insurance!

• “I think my poor liver takes a beating so a bit of NAC, TMG and Acetyl L Carnitine to help with enzymatic function is good insurance!”

deborahann, I am not familar with the supplements you mentioned. Would you mind telling me more about these? I often wonder about the state of my own liver. Are they available at a pharmacy?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I buy them at swansonvitamins.com TMG = Trimethylglycine. I use this instead of SAMe. It is a methyl donor and more stable and much less expensive than SAMe. It also supports the liver’s fat processing functions.
    NAC = N-Acetyl Cysteine is an antioxidant. I do believe this helps ensure good levels of glutathione as it is a precursor substance. It is in many detox formulas as a support nutrient. Glutathione is pricey and not very stable.
    Actyl L Carnitine is an amino acid that supports both liver and neural function.
    As I get healthier I will probably back off on the number of supplements I take and move toward using food sources like bee pollen, maca, etc. I am also trying to be more careful at work and physically cut my exposure.

• Well, I’ve done a lot of reading about being vegetarian, vegan, etc. What I found most interesting regarding B12 was in Fit For Life by Harvey Diamond. He explains it very well. First of all, the amount of B12 we need is extrememly minute. It is measured in miligrams. Second, we actually produce some B12 ourselves (aren’t our bodies amazing?!). Meateaters are more likey to develope a difficiency in B12 because when they eat meat, putrefaction occurs, which stops the body from naturally producing the B12. Also most healthy people carry around a 5 year supply of B12 so really there isn’t much to worry about. That’s what I got from his book.

• I guess my 5 year supply ran out.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

IN my research, I ahve found that it is best to take supplements such as wheatgrass juice, fresh abd bee pollen. Both of which are complete foods very high in protein and have b12 in them. THey give you a lot of energy and also help with many alergies or health problems that you mgiht have. Go to www.greenherbcafe.com for herbs, Wheatgrass powder, bee pollen, beet powder, indian goosberry and many other supplements that are great for this. Though some might seem exspensive, you only use about a tsp. every day and so it lasts 3-4 months.