sweet craving

ok I have been trying to eat healthier. I am trying to slowly introduce raw into my diet. I am having a hard time with sweets. I am one of those people that have to have something sweet after I eat.I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to deal with this..I also suffer from anxiety…I am needing easy recipes because all I have is a blender. thanks!!

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

dnacol~ Be kind to yourself… this is a journey, not a race. I have used dates to help with the sweet tooth… just a few after a meal. Since it is cold, I’ve been having raw tahini (about 1-2 Tbl), maple syrup (not raw, sub other sweetener if desired), dash of non-alcohol based vanilla extract, and raw cacao. I simply put it in a bowl or plate and mooch it around until uniformly mixed. I then eat it little by little, coating the back of a spoon and licking it off little by little, taking my time eating it, luxuriating over it. The tahini helps with warming the body. This might be considered a “transition” option… Another option is mixing some raw tahini with a sweetener and cinnamon and dipping cut up apples (or other harder fruits) into it. I think as my body changes, it will not crave the sweets and will turn more towards other foods… a journey… How are you feeling eating healthier? What foods have you learned about that are good for your brain?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi dnacol. You are like me… I have a strong sweet tooth craving and have had anxiety symptoms off-and-on. I just live with them… but someone told to stop eating cacao (I’m trying, but haven’t done that either).

Eating sugar doesn’t help those with anxiety… it may even be a cause… but, I have forgotten how/why… and where I read that.

Blender? PERFECT! I am 50 days on green smoothies, about 10 oz a day… and that has helped me some. My cravings for sugar has reduced significantly and my tolerance for the amount of sweetness in a dessert has decreased. Before, the sweeter it was, the more I liked it. I still eat sweets, but sometimes I crave salty things which has never happened to me before… or at least not like this. Pass the sea salt please. It’s been a complete turn around for me. I am pleased with the results… but I still eat my dessert – less sweet and less of it.

• Bluedolfin-I have been eating oranges, bannnans raisins..mainly fruit throughout the day. Evening time I have my normal cooked meal. Yesterday I bought a blender so my husband made my first green smoothie for me..spinach,oranges,apples,bannana. It was ok kinda chunky but I will keep trying until I can get it down. I just started a few days ago but it is hard because I am so use to eating unhealthy. I don’t know what foods are good for the brain..do you have any ideas?? thanks for your concern and help!! Thanks germin8..I had my first smoothie yesterday am looking forward to trying different types of fruits and vegetables!! I also heard cacao makes anxiety worse. Hopefully the more raw I eat the less I will crave chocolate fudgy brownies. Glad to hear your doing well with your sugar cravings!

dnacol~ That’s great incorporating fruits and green smoothies. If the green smoothie is chunky, simply blend it for longer. If you don’t have a Vitmix or one of the other pulverising blenders, a little chunky might be what you will get. Check out the Vitmix site and notice how they load the blender. It might make a difference what order you place foods in the blender and the amount of water/liquid you have in there to make things “go ‘round” to make a smooth drink. If you get chunks, it’s a soup and eat it out of a bowl. :)

My expertise in brain food is focused on the supplements I support the use of. There are other people on this site whose expertise in foods for the brain could support you in learning about those. I would suggest creating a new thread requesting info on “healing brain food and resources.” People will point you in the direction of great information. Then bring back the info you find and support others. :)

Happy learning.

• Bluedolfin-if you don’t mind me asking you what type of supplements do you use?

dnacol~ It is best to contact me directly for more info.

• ok thanks bluedolfin

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Some good things for the brain are omega-3,6,9… like walnuts, flax. Also, more than 15 minutes a day of sunshine and going to bed early (before 10P) is good for the seratonin/melatonin levels.

Bluedolfin seems to sell some interesting supplements. ...especially the glyconutrients which I heard from my friend’s mother (who uses them and also sells them, I think) that they work great.

• anyone take fish oil supplements or krill oil?

• Dnacol, I love just a simple Medjool date for a sweet. Yummsies, it really does help, except that I want to eat the entire package.
    I love making raw ice-creams and coating them sweet raw things, I must confess, yesterday was my 3rd day in a raw eating raw ice-creams. ;0)
    I take cod liver oil once in a while.