Brain Food

any ideas on what food is good for healing the brain?

Comments

• does anyone take fish oil supplements or krill oil?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

how about foods with omega-3,6,9 like flaxseed/oil, walnuts, hemp (can get it from Whole Foods). Also borage, evening primrose oil.

P.S. I just realized you posted about sweet craving. I haven’t tried fish oil. But, I know someone that sells a certain (good) brand… she says her supplements have omega-9… on the rare chance you body does not ‘create’ it itself with the omega-3,6 supplied. I also heard it makes your breath smell fishy.

Anyway… I would just eat the food or take Udo’s blend or something similar.

• This just might be my opinion, but I wouldn’t take anything with fish oil or any other type of oil extracted from another living creature. Do you know why fish oil is so good for you? It’s not because the fish miraculously has these omegas naturally, it’s because of what the fish eats. Fish, especially, eat a lot of seaweed and sea vegetables. Therefore you can get these same nutrients from eating the foods they eat. Or you can just pick up some hempseeds/hemp oil. That works too.

• What do you mean by healing the brain?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Brain function is closely tied to our essential fatty acid intake.

DMAE (found primarily in wild Alaskan salmon) acts to reinforce cell membranes. I know that the topical application of DMAE is cumulative, and am assuming that the same would hold true for internal use, but I can’t say for sure. However, it is highly important to the production of neurotransmitters and its use has been shown to improve memory, cognitive function, and ADD.

Pumpkin seed oil is 45% linoleic acid. If you have acne that may be a sign that you’re deficient. If not, it still can’t hurt to use a bit. Also, if you notice that wounds are slow to heal, this is a sign that you’re deficient in EFAs.

Essential fatty acids (especially GLA and DHA) will also help increase your cells’ sensitivity to insulin. Perhaps this will lower your sweet cravings. If you’re under a lot of stress I would also be sure to get enough B5 (pantothenic acid). It is used by the adrenals, is exhausted easily, yet is necessary for the proper utilization of EFAs

There’s a book called The Brain Diet. I haven’t looked into it and I know it’s not really related to the raw diet, but it might have a few good pointers in it.

Good advice Raw_Chocoholic about the stress & vitamin B5. Calcium is also good for the adrenals. I heard EFAs were good for diabetics (neuropathy); but, I didn’t realize that EFAs increase the cells’ sensitiviy to insulin! (I know someone with neuropathy who may benefit from this info.)

• Raw Chocoholic – are you talking about supplements or can I get these from the food?
    Shane – I have a scar on the right temporal lobe of my brain…not sure how it happen but doctor thinks I might be having some type of seizures firing off from this. I am just looking for a more naturally way to deal with this rather then having to start seizure medications. I have been hearing about fish oil supplements and how some people have had great results!!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

germin8 – I didn’t know that calcium helped the adrenals. Thanks for the advice! I’ve been working/studying/being woken up by the dog and cat several times a night, so I’ve been feeling pretty burnt out lately. I guess it’s time to make some sesame seed mylk. I was also reading somewhere that calcium helped to promote weight loss. I wonder if it’s related to the adrenal support? EFAs make the cell membrane more fluid/permeable, so I suppose that’s how it works for the insulin sensitivity.

dnacol – You can get DMAE from food or from supplements. I haven’t been able to find a non-fishy source from food. As a supplement it should be fairly easy to find at any health food store. Or maybe look for an EFA supplement which contains it. I think chakra essence made a good point about eating more sea veggies though. However, I would take the EFAs also, considering you want to heal rather than just to maintain.

• Chocholic thanks for the advice…can you recommend any specific efa supplements?

Calcium: Yes, under stress… the adrenals produce cortisol (sp?)... which is balanced by calcium. (learned this at a nutrition seminar – CNHP).