sprouting questions/help

I am really new at this and learning as I go. I have 2 questions. Why sprout? and How do you grow broccoli sprouts? I think I saw that at the store the other day when I was buying some veggies.

Any info would be helpful for me to learn more.

Thanks
Katt

Comments

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I am not an expert and I have not even tried to sprout yet, but I found this really great site that I think might give you a lot of answers:

http://www.sproutpeople.com/

Good luck, I think I am starting my first attempt tomorrow.

• Thanks IsisDc. I will check sprout people out. I am going to try the sprouting thing out soon. Good luck with your sprouting. Please keep me posted.

KATT

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

Oh I will!

Maybe we should start a sprouting thread?

So far I have a sprouting jar and a nice choice of grains and legumes to experiment with on my shelf.

A friend of mine who works at a local co-op just gave me a huge bag of lentils, so I think the lentils might be my first try.

• Yes we should start a sprouting thread. I am very interested in the broccoli sprouts. Been trying to research that now. I also want to try sprouting chickpeas and the lentils.

It should be fun once we get the hang of it.

Im enjoying going raw. But, its hard to stay prepared. I hope I find a routine soon.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Hi there. I’ve been sprouting for a couple years now, and I definitely agree with IsisDC that the SproutPeople website is great. Everytime I do a different sprout, I search it on their website. Some sprouts, like Quinoa and Amaranth, can get really gross if you oversprout them, and they seem to be the only ones to say to keep them SMALL. Buckwheat is one of the easiest and fastest. I use leftover jars and strainer – that’s it. When I’m done sprouting, I spread out my sprouts on a plate (or plates) and let them dry out well before putting them into the fridge – I’ve noticed that they continue sprouting unless they’re dry – and I don’t want them oversprouting, which changes the flavor.

Happy sprouting!