Juicers: are they worth the $$

NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I am really craving fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice. I’ve been thinking about buying a juicer but am hesitant about spending the money. Can anyone recommend a cheapo juicer?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

If you only want citrus, there are lots of cheap citrus juicers on eBay and probably even WalMart has them. You can get them for $20.00 or less, plus shipping.

• yes, ditto! If you are only making citrus juicer, it’s much easier to use a reamer/citrus press – less mess and less to clean up. The juice aslo tends to be less bitter because you’re not getting the mebranes and pith. There’s a huge variety from little wooden manual ones (less than $5) up to snazzy electric ones but they seriously won’t cost you more than $30.

However, if you plan jucing more fruit and vege, or doing juice fasts/feasts (seriously good stuff) you’ll need a juicer! Make sure you get a one that has removable parts so you can wash everything (no yucky moudly growing bits), and that its easy to put back together once you’ve taken it apart! Some (more expensive) models can do wheatgrass and nut butters too, so think about your future usage.

The worst thing about them is how much bench space they take up (especially if you have a small apartment like me) but I find that I use my juicer and blender so often, they are essential. Worth the investment!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I recently bought a mid-range juicer (Omega 8003). I love it and my 3 year old helps with the juice making, which is great (gets him drinking it, even though it’s green!). Although, I recently came across the site www.juicefeasting.com where they recommend using a blender and a nut milk bag to make juice. Here’s their instructions: http://www.juicefeasting.com/JuiceFeastingIntro…

The justification is that it’s faster and the juice is better because it includes the cell membranes (something like that). So, if you already have a Vitamix or other powerful blender, you can make wonderful juices. It’s up to personal preference and what’s right for you.