Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

FRUITARIAN!!!!

hey guys i’ve discovered this fruitarian diet and I have been on it for 2 weeks now. It is sooooo awesome!!! I’ve never felt better, not even when I was eating veggies nuts and seeds. Wow i recommend this to all of you. Give it a try!!!

Comments

• i was a fruitarian for a while but the problem with fruitarianism is that it doesn’t give you all of the nutrients you need, and the main problem is that the fruits we have today we have grown to be sweet. for example, before we messed with them, apples were pretty awful fruit to eat, not sweet and very small.

but if you feel good, then keep on it, i hope you keep feeling well, but if you decide to come off i hope you can stay raw and healthy :)

• I’m actually trying fruitarianism right now. I’m finding mono-eating really hard, so to ease in, I make alot of green smoothies for mid-day boosts. While I was on a SAD, I had an insatiable sweet-tooth, so this diet really satisfies me. Although, today, for the first time while fruitarian, I felt sick, shaky, and craved salt. This might be the detox symptoms kicking in. Have you had any detox symptoms yet? I don’t know anyone else trying fruitarianism right now, so it would be great if we could keep in touch and talk about what we’re experiencing while on this diet. =)

• Careful. I have meet a few former fruitarians and two became diabetic.Too much natural sugar. They would agree with sobizaar, not enough nutrients. Good uck with that choice.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

My comments on fruitarianism are pretty much the same as above. I know a former fruitarian, now regular raw foodie, who said that for two months he felt like he was on a cloud but then started experiencing dental health problems, sugar crashes, anxiety, etc.
    Good luck though!

• I’m basically a fruitarian. I work at an organic produce store so I can get the best stuff! I still eat some green leafys and other veggies though in smaller amounts and nuts of course but they are fruits too.

Are you eating fruit exclusively? What kinds are your fav?

I love this diet but am conflicted: I don’t eat alot of local produce in the winter. I’m thinking of adopting a more local diet heavier in greens and nuts or moving South to pig on on more fruit.

Anyone have similar issues?

James

• Basically, I try to eat as much fruit as possible (including fruit-like vegetables, like cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers). I try to keep my food as simple as possible. Last night, for the first time, I felt overloaded on sugar, so I had a few ounces of soaked almonds sprinkled with cinnamon (for blood sugar), and felt fine afterwards. I think the big thing for fruitarians is listening to your body (rather than your cravings). I may cut back on the fruit, and adopt a diet that is 60% fruit, 30% veggies, 10% nuts. Or something like that. I guess whatever it takes to get my body what it needs.

• I eat a mostly fruitarian…some veggies. I try and stay away from fatty stuff and only eat nuts every now and then or basically keep it to nutmilk. I think one of the keys to fruitarian eating habits is too make sure after a meal, brush or at least rinse your mouth out…it will help keep dental problems at bay.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Not all fruits are sweet. I tried this diet and didn’t do well either. I needed more fats and protein for rebuilding myelin and the diet is too cleansing and not replenishing enough for me, not enough of something. I do better with more variation.

I’m glad you found something that works for you Jmasterson.

• Does anyone know of a kind of fruit chart that lists sugar, protein, fiber and vitamin contents of common fruit? I can’t find one that lists all of them. I started making one, but I’d really rather not have to take all that time lol

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’ve been ‘high raw’ for about 6 months, and i find myself naturally gravitating to a fruitarian diet. i have type 1 diabetes, so i don’t eat tons of citrus or really sweet fruits, i also really watch my serving sizes.
    i eat mostly green apples and berries, maybe a handful of nuts a day. it feels really natural for me, i’m just not drawn to greens, i feel like i’m forcing myself to eat them when i do.
    i have great control of my blood sugar as long as i stick to it!

i also find that i don’t really drink much water eating this way, and don’t need to.

• Fruits really help curb off my sweet cravings. I do agree with eating ALOT of fruit and that nothings wrong with it. Though I am not too sure about doing the fruitarian diet. I believe personally, that fruit gives you a rapid energy, so you feel better faster. While with vegetables you may feel good, but dont get that energy spin. Vegetables take longer. But I’m no expert on the thing, really.
    Though stylistchick does make a good point.

• anybody that need proof of the benifits of the fruitarian lifestyle i suggest you check out Richard Blackman… his website is www.fruitarianfitness.com
    He also has plenty videos on youtube.com… just type his name in to search.. he shares plenty of info on frutiarian and on fitness

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Here is a food guide chart I found on www.rawschool.com http://www.rawschool.com/bestrawfoods.htm

Cucumers, lettuces, tomatoes, bell peppers are all accepted as part of a fruitarian diet. It doesn’t have to be all very sweet fruits.

Good luck with it! Please keep us updated.

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

And here is some excellent advice from David Wolfe http://www.pioneerthinking.com/fruitarian.html

• I did it for two years, I blogged about it on Suvine.com. I got everything I needed. It was extreme. I was extreme. The best I ever was.

• suvine- were you 100% fruit? or a small amount of greens and nuts as well? did you mono-eat? no protein, B12 deficiency??? sorry for all the questions… i’m just very interested in learning about successful fruitarians.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Fruitarianism is a beautiful lifestyle to live. Unfortunately just eating fruit is not for everyone. Everyone looks and acts differently, so the same goes for what we eat. For me, I feel that eating a lot of fruit and a moderate amount of plants from both the land and sea works the best. Also keep in mind that there are sweet fruits and non sweet fruits. Non sweet fruits include: cukes, zuchinni, eggplant, tomatoes, avos, bell peppers, and many more. Basically anything thing that can be eaten without killing the plant is classified as a fruit. I think every has the sweet fruits covered :) B-12 is not as big as a problem as people make it out to be. There are many plant based and fermented sources out there that contain sufficient amounts of B-12. These include spirulina, chlorella, kombucha, and the list goes on. It is a good idea to get a blood test once in a while to see that you aren’t lacking anything. Colloidal mineral tinctures is a great way to get all the minerals that you need.

V

• before you all knock this fruitarian diet, I suggest you do some research. Humans were made to live on fruit. All necessary vitamins and nutrients that the body needs are found in fruit, nuts, and seeds. If you’d like to see a list, and all the facts please check out www.fruitarian.com or www.fruitarianfitness.com. It cannot cause diabetes, and you will only benefit from this diet.Look at suvine up there…look at her website, it’s proof!!

• Again, you don’t have to only eat sweet fruits. Fruits are considered to be anything with seeds. Therefore, bell-peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, avacados, and squash are all fruits!! And you don’t even have to drink water because natural water is in fruits.

• I most certainly would not knock the fruitarian diet but I will second what humanimal said which is that every body reacts differently to foods, diets, ways of life. For instance, I loooooooooovvvvvveeee eating mostly raw but I have a friend who is a stomach cancer survivor and for some combination of physiological phenomena unique to her body, she is unable to digest raw vegetables without severe discomfort. Likewise, diabetics, prediabetics, and people with severe blood sugar variance would definitely need to take caution trying a fruitarian diet while others may flourish.

So yes let’s not knock any diet, but it’s fascinating where these open discussions can take us say: the relation of different evolutionary tracks with or without other physiological influences to the tolerance of and benefit from different diets!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

jmasterson, you’re right that humans are meant to live on fruit, however, keep in mind that fruit has changed massively over the years- it’s been cultivated and hybridized and it’s much sweeter than before. Also, the depleted soil means that it has much less minerals than it should. All this means that we need to add things that are less natural for us to eat- such as large quantities of greens that aren’t too palatable, in forms that make it moreso- like juice or smoothie, to supplement the missing minerals and to balance out the excess sugar. Fruit is great, don’t get me wrong, I love it, but if I don’t balance it out with some fat and lots of greens, I get really wonky.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

As well as what morning_theft just said, the modern lifestyle is far different form the tree climbing, constantly moving, running, etc. lifestyle of our ancestors (at least for most people). On top of that, we’d be eating some little bugs and so on (not washing the fruit obviously), which would satisfy our B12…which despite it constantly being downplayed by some vegans is hugely important.
    The raw diet must be adjusted to the way foods have changed, and the way our lifestyles have changed.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

jmasterson,
    I agree 100% with you, I am frutarian now and I feel great! Heres a great site I found
    on fruitarianism: http://www.fruitarian.com/ao/WhatIsFruitarianis…. And yea Richard Blackman,fruitarianfitness.com is definate proof, he lives on fruit! I used to drink a gallon of water a day or more, but now I dont need it, the fruit provides all the water I need. I still drink water but not like I did.It may not be for everybody but it works for me and I still eat greens for dinner, about a pound of greens or even more sometimes.I love green smoothies but prefer just eating the greens raw without any dressings or making smoothies.

• I heard an interview with Victoria Buchenko where she said they felt amazing on raw food for three years and then they hit a slump. Lost loads of energy, got warts (sign of low immunity) and were generally miserable. She did some research and found that they barely ate any greens. I guess they were eating mainly fruits then.

• Hello all,

I’m in total support of fruitarianism!! We are naturally frugivores. Fruit is our natural food. I rarely eat greens or nuts or seeds and I feel amazing! It is such a beautiful, natural, easy way to eat. I feel much better eating fruit than I felt when I ate a gourmet type raw diet. However anything raw is better than SAD! :-)

I do think that people need to transition to mostly fruit only as they feel comfortable. It’s hard enough for most people to just stay raw, so trying to move too fast to goals like fruitarianism might make many people feel deprived. It is always best to work from where you are and make constant and deliberate progress.

BTW, the Boutenkos (sp?) were not eating mostly fruit when they decided to improve their health and try green smoothies, they were eating a varied typical raw gourment type of diet. :-)

Blessings,

Audrey

• I ate the Essene fruitarian diet (aka the “Jesus diet”) for 9 months. I weighed 140 at the beginning of the diet and about 85 at the end of it. I thought it was all ‘detox’ and would eventually taper off before I started stabilizing and rebuilding. It took weighing 85 lbs. to realize that it wasn’t going to happen. I was so naive, dogmatic and convinced that fruitarianism was the greatest diet ever, that inspite of having loose teeth, lack of coordination, concentration, loss of emotional stability, loss all muscle mass to the point of weighing 85 lbs, etc, etc, etc I still persisted because I had made up my mind… the truth was irrelevant. I am now suffering from a myriad of health problems that my fruitarian diet no doubt predisposed me to. Diabetes, severe demineralization, severe heavy metal poisoning, severe tooth decay, chronic fatigue, chronic diarrhea, eczema, etc, etc, etc. My digestion has deteriorated to the point that I can’t eat anything but raw foods (and ones that are low in carbs at that). My experience has been that if don’t get what you need in your diet, you’re going to take it off of your own body just to stay alive.

Peace,
    Randall Gentry
    Sacto, Ca

“Assume Nothing

• Frederic Patenaude’s book “Raw Secrets” is a great book that explains how people are Frugivores and how a fruit based diet is our natural diet.
    http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/rawsecrets.html

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

Temineth,
    I read the advertisement for Raw Secrets and it appears hes friends with Dr. Graham, and so youve read the book right? Whats it like compared to the 80/10/10 diet? Looks to be about the same to me, high fruits and greens, minimal fats…
    Rob

• Wow, Randall, that’s scary. Did you have any medical problems before starting the Jesus Diet? On a typical day, what did you eat on the diet? Amounts, types of fruit, etc?