Work out advice (running, etc)

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone,

I have been running for awhile now and have gotten up to 4.5 miles. I try to run that length everyday but I noticed my body start to get really achy, pained and sore if I do it too much. However, I NEED to run daily…and if I don’t go the same length everyday then I feel like I let myself down. I’ve been 100% raw for a few weeks now.

Can you guys give me some advice on how often and how much to run? I want a sleek, toned body but I also don’t want to seriously hurt myself because I run too much.

Oh, and what is the best workout for slimming down thighs and arms?

Comments

• Hi Moth! Please when it comes to running work up your speed and distance GRADUALLY. I was like you and ran every day.. got the runners high and really pressed myself to train more and more without listening to my body. I got runners knee and I haven’t been able to run without pain since then (about 3 years ago). Also, make sure you have good shoes and run as much as possible on soft trails… not pavement! I wanted to train for a marathon after maybe a summer of running and thought I had to prepare for pavement by running on pavement…. it cost me.. I never even got to compete in a 10K. I think running will give you that sleek and toned body but you don’t want to lose the opportunity by overdoing it. Really… the signs of being pained etc… are not good signs. Don’t try to get further every day. Take short runs during the week and see how far you can go on Sunday…. or something like that. I am no expert… I started running in my 20’s but do some reading on it or get some advice from a marathoner. But take it from someone who LOVED running… don’t overdue it! I am hoping the raw food thing will rebuild my knees. Good luck!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey, thanks for the advice and feedback. I guess I’m not sure how long I should run…should I just run until the pain starts and then stop? Or run through the pain? I have to admit I’ve been running through the pain…it kinda feels good to do that…

Oh, and I usually run on the treadmill at the gym because I live in New England and it’s COLD up here right now.

I just love that runner’s high.

• Moth – don’t run through the pain. Unfortunately, like northernlights, I speak from personal experience. I started running about 6 months ago and increased my mileage much too quickly. I was running on January 2nd and pulled my groin (yes, ouch). I am going to attempt my first run tomorrow – more than one month later. My doctor told me it was from overuse because I did not increase my mileage more gradually. I understand the high and the feeling that you need to run everyday but try to cross train AT LEAST 2 days per week, if not 3 to start. You should not increase mileage by more than 10% every two weeks.

I do think that running on a treadmill is a bit easier on the legs overall but it is a very repetitive motion (even more so on the treadmill) so just take it easy. Find another sport/exercise that you also love so you can engage in both activities.

Good luck to you!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Thanks so much… would the elliptical be a safe exercise to do in-between runs?

• Yes, I would give the elliptical a try one day, perhaps the stationary bike another day and even add in a yoga class. The elliptical tends to have the same motions as running but much less impact. This, obviously, is both positive and negative when it comes to cross training. Just go for some variety and you should be fine. Just remember to strech before and after running!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Okay, it sounds like variety in exercise is key! Thanks again!

• Moth..I’ve been running for years and would suggest not running through the pain but rather listen to your body because it knows what is best! It’s safe to increase your milage by about 10% every two weeks and incorporating cross training, strenght training, and yoga have really helped me excel as a runner. I do not run every day, but get in the pool, spin/ride when the weather is nice (I am also from new england but I hate the winter), and use the elliptical. runnersworld.com is a wonderful web site with lots and lots of information about running and different programs based on your current level of fitness and distances you are trying to achieve. Are you interested in doing road races?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yes, actually! I would love to get involved with marathons and road races eventually. The more I run the more I want to run… :-) I feel like running is freedom the same way RAW has been for me.