Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothies & Stomach Acid

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I just want to share my experience about green smoothies and stomach acid…

We tried the 30+ days of green smoothies… that Boutenko talked about in her lecture and book… and I did notice stomach acid return some several days into the green smoothies (this I know because of a burn… gross). Well, we were 55 days on green smoothies and stopped this past Sunday. Today, I am not convinced the stomach acid has stayed the same or even slowly reduced… I actually feel that it has reduced significantly (telling by a burp)... so I am disappointed. I just wanted to share my experience. Nevertheless, greens are good for us, and I will continue green smoothies… just not daily.

Our daily recipe split between 2 people:
2 cups water
6-8 cups greens (not 2 heads of greens like the book mentioned for daily intake)
a couple fruits

Comments

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

Since you mentioned Boutenko, I guess you are mostly raw.

I don’t know what is causing your stomach acid. I hope it gets better for you.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Hey Germin8, have you noticed a difference based on the fruits you include?

I often have problems with stomach acid when I drink green smoothies in which the fruit is mostly bananas, dates, or oranges. Interestingly, I’m totally fine with many other sweet or acidic fruits, including pineapples, mangos, lemons, and grapefruit (these are the ones I’ve most often heard can be problematic for people).

Also, in direct contrast to food combining theory, I feel great on these fruits when I combine them with a little bit of fat, and I’m generally ok with them when they are whole (not blended). So maybe this has something to do with sugar absorption rates? I don’t know. But the burning feeling I get when I have a blended banana feels just like acid reflux, which I experienced as a SAD eater.

So you might try observing which fruits you experience this with, or focusing on low glycemic fruits like berries or apples, and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

• Hi Germin8, I found that food combinations played a big part when I first started my green smoothies. I now only have oranges and pineapples together as a base and then add greens and I always add some coconut oil Not sure if you have read about the benefits of coconut oil but it makes the green smoothie taste fantastic. You don’t have to add much … depending on the size of your smoothie. You may find it helps with the tummy acid.

• I understand the benefits to the green smoothies, but I seem to get extremely hungry very soon after having one. I also get nauseaous depending on the combos. Made one with blueberries and swiss chard the other day and really felt sick for a couple hours afterward. Today I decided to go the savory route (greens,tomato, fresh basil, celery) instead of sweet and found I felt pretty good afterwards, but for the rest of the day I was REALLY hungry.Found myself eating more than I usually do just to satisfy my appetite. Any thoughts?

• tbone13tbone13 Raw Newbie

i too am getting the acid feeling in my stomach after drinking a green smoothie. i used to drink all fruit smoothies with no problem.

ever since going green, my digestion has slowed down and that acid feeling lasts all morning.

is there somethign wrong with me?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

from what she said, you perhaps do you have enough stomach acid. try a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before you have any meal.

BKhand40—i have the opposite reaction! I am so full after a smoothie! oh bTW, i almost never have banana in my smoothies. usually mango and greens or berries and greens.

• Hmmmm I have been having a prob with green smoothies where my stomach bloats up and I feel really pained and uncomfortable for hours. It’s usually after I have a green smoothie with spinach. Kale ones are a bit easier to digest. Has anyone else had this experience with spinach?

• Not sure if this would help with the stomach acid, but it will help with digesting the green smoothies:

This may sound a bit weird, but you should chew your green smoothie. Digestion starts in the mouth when saliva is created by chewing and the saliva begins to break down the food and travel through to the stomach for digestion.

Often times the smoothie tastes so good …or not so good :D that we just gulp it down. Try chewing the smoothie until it gets warm to initiate saliva/digestion in the mouth. Also, you will notice you get fuller faster b/c the smoothie is ingested slower.

Cheers!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

try adding coconut oil and flax oil to the green smoothie, and/or hemp or soaked chia seeds.

• Leafy greens and fruits (sweet, acid, sub-acid, nonsweet, melons) have different digestion times. Combining these causes indigestion. I think this is a case of poor food combining.

• Leafy greens and fruits (sweet, acid, sub-acid, nonsweet, melons) have different digestion times. Mixing these causes indigestion. I think this is a case of poor food combining.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

This link talks about pH and stomach acid. pH test strips are available at many pharmacies.

• Thanks I’ll try chewing/slowing things down and some flax.