Blood sugar

MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

sigh it’s possibly the penalty of falling off the wagon with a restaurant meal but when I look back over the last week I realise my energy has not been good. Generally tired, flat in mood and when I am at my lowest I break out in a sweat. Someone said these are all signs of hypoglycemia. It seems to coincide with switching to green smoothies in the morning instead of the high protein and fat linseed/sunflower/almond fruit, flax oil combinations I was having before. But I have been trying to eat a big serve of this at mid morning. Possibly I am not bulking with as many vegetables as normal because of the high availability of summer fruit.
Any feedback would be much appreciated as I want to get on top of this

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

sweating is an early sign of low blood sugar, and feeling tired can be too. if it gets really low you will get confused, dizzy, slurred speech, extreme sweating, jittery feeling in limbs, ringing in ears just before you pass out.

when you are sweating, has it been a long time since you’ve eaten? my guess is that is would have to be at least 3 hours since your last meal for it to be hypoglycemia.

i’m not sure about this but if its only been a short while since you’ve been raw, the sweating and other symptoms could be detox.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Thanks stylistchick…I just read through the sugarcoma thread which I hadn’t seen before and I think that I started to go out of balance about ten days back after I was largely on fruit, probably a few days deficient in greens, (half a green smoothie a day ) and then started trying to get energy from a few days of lots of dried fruit. I am not sure if it’s my age, the long-standing nutritional deficiencies that may not be corrected -especially as I am off supplements at present, or a common thing to raw-fooders but for me right now there does not seem to be any buffer zone between doing the wrong thing and getting the ill effects. THe jitteriness, confusion etc ….all there, plus sleeplessness after I wake in the early hours of the morning…hmmm and bleeding gums.

You are right about the 3 hours stuff too…..just no real appetite at present.
    THe quick ‘high’ from a wine and non-raw restaurant feast was fun recently but I am now thinking I over-assessed my body’s ability to throw off the ill-effects.
    Thank you so much to you and to all the wise people who post on these threads.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

if you are worried about low blood sugar, buy a meter, you can get on for about $20 now, when you start to have those feelings test yourself.
    you might find that your level is actually a little elevated, hypergycemia has some of the same symptoms.
    hypoglycemia is much more immediately dangerous
    than high blood sugar. if its much below 75, you need to eat something with at least 10-15 g of carb, that will bring it back up.

• My husband and I had low blood sugar before we went raw. It didn’t take too long before my problems disappeared however my husband took a lot longer to get over his. Even though we have remained completely raw for the past 7 years, there still has been a transitioning period because of the knowledge we gain along the way. Our diet is now high in fruit with the occasional special meal when I have the urge to make one. I didn’t think my husband would ever be able to go for more than a few hours without eating but it is slowly happening. I have been greatly encouraged by this …. raw is the best lifestyle!