Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw in Winter

Hi Friends-
Well, there is four feet of snow outside my window and I have to say it has been tough to keep on my raw diet. I began eating cooked foods again about 2 months ago and I feel pretty sluggish. My quandary is this; I feel like I need warm foods in the winter. I love hearty soups and yummy stews. It seems to be a big challenge this time of year. Does anyone have some advice?

Comments

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

It is tough…I am trying best as I can but I have been eating cooked vegan meals for dinner until there is some better produce around. Dont beat yourself up…thats my only advice :)

• Yeh, I know how hard it is… its -15 below (F) where I live. I drink a lot of juice with ginger in it. My favorite is pineapple, ginger juice.
    I also like to make some of the richer recipes found on this site and in my own raw food cookbooks.
    Good luck

• Hi dynamiccoach! It’s been -41 celcius where I live for a week! I definitely feel your pain about being raw in winter! Try making blender “soups” and adding fresh jalapenos. You can adjust the hotness to whatever you like. I like to be sweating when i eat jalapenos! Hahaha! They’re a great way to warm up! Hot water with lemon is nice too, but it doesn’t get you sweating.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

hot peppers are the best…scotch bonnet…oh yeah!

• When I make corn chowder (there are a few recipies on this site) I run the corn under hot water before putting everything in the blender – it’s not the same as hot soup but I have found that that, coupled with a cuncky consistancy, does the trick. Hope that helps!

• I know it’s not the same as a entire hot meal but whenever I need a warm-up after a cold walk home in the winterwonderland that is chicago I always have a hot cup of ginger tea with honey. The Yogi brand is my favorite. Chai teas also have a great mix of spices that bring a warmth to the body.

• Thank you Thank you! I am going to do my best to get my diet back to at least 75% raw…if not more. The produce is a bit sketchy this time of year but there are still some good choices. I so appreciate your support!!!
    XXXOOOO

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ve been doing a cooked vegan dinner as well because of the cold. I try to add a lot of raw elements though!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I’ve made the wild rice recipe ( in the dehydrator ) posted on this site and it is hearty and chewy! Also I’m freezing too but I’ve re-upped my green juice/smoothie intake and that seems to help bunches too. Can’t wait for my summer produce market to open again!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

BTW Dynamic coach you look way younger than 46!! So you must be doing something right! ;0)