Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How can I use brown rice?

Hi my name is Chelsea and am new to this site. I was wondering if anyone knew how I can use brown rice while still being true to a raw food diet.

Comments

• Welcome to the site Chelsea!
    I don’t know if brown rice is raw, but if it is i think you can soak it. I’m not sure how long though. I think some wild rices are raw.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

As seen on sproutpeople.com, you can sprout brown rice for like 2-4 days and then you will have to cook it in twice as much water as rice for 15 mins. Otherwise, it is too hard. I tried to sprout rice before but I soaked it too long and did not rinse it often enough so it molded. Should try again. It is just too hard of a grain to be eating raw even after it is sprouted a little.

• Just a quick tip. Rice is grain. Grains are dangerous. Books to read: Dangerous Grains. Grain Damage. Good luck! To substitute rice in the raw food world…..cauliflower and pine nuts in food processor until it looks like rice….put onto plate…add fresh vegies…enjoy!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi guys, sorry to tell you but rice is not raw. It is all boiled and/or steamed during its processing. Soaking it till it is so soft it splits is not the as sprouting, something that has been heated like rice has won’t sprout.
    You can use cauliflower, jicama, turnip chopped tiny in the food processor as a rice substitute.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

The brown rice I used did in fact sprout but it took like four days or so for a short little sprout and they all had mold on them…I did not rinse them enough. So, it must have been raw for it to sprout.

• I’ve done the Cauliflower/Pine nuts alternative several times now (even for raw-sushi!) and it’s come out GREAT. I can’t tell the difference, other than being healthy! :D