Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dried tomatoes so tough!!!

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’ve tried two brands of sun-dried tomatoes but am having so much troubles using them. No matter how long I soak them, they never really get mushy enough to put in my mini-processor and blender. I mean, the machines will hack at them, but I can hear the motors strain. The soaked tomatoes never puree; they just get chopped up. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

wow those tomatoes really sound like they have been dried to a crisp! Are the ones that you have been using organic?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Yes, they sure are organic. One brand feels like jerky; it’s so tough but the other doesn’t feel nearly so bad. However they both are giving me problems. Maybe I should dehydrate my own? Do you have a brand you like?

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i dehydrate my own and it works great

Okay, I guess I have a new project then next week!:-)

• How long would you suggest dehydrating them? Halves or slices? I’m gonna plant some tomatoes soon!

• I have heard that it takes just as long to completely re-hydrate food as it does to dehdyrate it. Since tomatoes have such a high water content, they probably take a longer time to dehydrate and why they are so tough. Once, I put sun dried tomatoes in water to soak in the refrigerator and forgot about them until the next morning. They blended really well, but still had that good concentrated tomato flavor. So you just might need to plan ahead and soak a lot longer.

The last time I soaked them was for almost 48 hours, though.