Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Help w/ Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie... sorta

germin8germin8 Raw Master

When we were Grass Roots raw food restaurant, we had the Peanut smoothie. The aftertaste was like a Reese’s Peanut Butter cup… no kidding! Being states away, I would like to make that smoothie and all I have are the ingredients… can you help me figure out what I need to do:

Ingredients: Hemp milk, Irish moss, banana, ground peanut, flax seed, oats and agave nectar.

1. What do you think they did with the irish moss? I’m not too familiar with the use of it. I’ve seen it for some recipes and I substitute agar.
  2. No one sells Irish moss near where I live, can I substitute it for something else or does it have a certain flavor to it? I’m looking for the Reese’s flavor!
  3. How do I make hemp milk? I can get the hemp at Whole Foods and Wegmans; they come in a zip-bag ready to eat. Can I use those?
  4. What other ways are there to make hemp milk? I may need to experiment if it tastes differently… is there only one type of hemp seed?

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I think Irish moss is mostly for texture, it would make it a little more gelatinous, but I could be wrong. You could try it completely without or maybe substitute with some agar\ psyllium?
    I make hemp milk by blending hemp seeds in water, and I don’t bother straining. It doesn’t need soaking. I don’t think you can get unshelled hemp seeds, and those would be a hassle to use anyway. Hemp hearts (the shelled split ones) are great.

• Oooh, germin8, if you actually figure this recipe out before I do then PLEASE post it because I WANT a reese’s soooo bad. Does anyone know where to get raw peanuts???

• I recently saw Jungle Peanuts on rawguru.com
    I’ve never used them. I wonder how they are? Does anyone know if peanuts are acidic? I’ve been reading a lot about acidic and alkalizing foods.

• Ohhhhh, I love the REESE thing! Sigh. Tell us how!!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hemp hearts? Do they taste ‘different’ from what I get? Will Nutiva’s Organic Shelled Hempseed (from Whole Foods and Wegmans) work for making the milk? Are those hemp hearts?

So, no flavor in Irish moss. That’s good, maybe I will skip it or substitute. Does Irish Moss cause things to “grow” rather than just become gelatenous? This would be a good thing to get if I want more!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I grew up down south and although I loved boiled and roasted peanuts, I’m pretty sure raw peanuts were horrible. I don’t know if jungle peanuts are the same as the peanuts (Planter’s type) we grew.
    Most nuts are mildly acidic at least. Almonds are generally listed as alkaline.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Raw peanuts aren’t gross! But they’re very suspectible to molds and fungus and generally not a great thing to have. Jungle peanuts taste a little different… I tried them, I even made raw peanut butter cups with them! They’re definitely acidic though, no doubt. As far as I know, all seed types are at least mildly acidic, even almonds.

Also, hemp hearts are shelled hemp seeds. And they work fabulously for milk.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, nuts/seeds can be acidic… but, when you germinate them… you’re removing some acid which are the enzyme inhibitors such as tannin & phytic acid.

Great! I just bought hemp hearts then. :o)

Are there other sources of where to get Jungle peanuts? I think I’ll try with regular peanuts while I’m “experimenting”.