Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

buckwheat sprout toxicity?

Ok, so I have read that buckwheat greens should not be eaten in large amounts, but buckwheat sprouts (with little white tails) are a daily part of my diet. Does anybody know of the possible toxicity of young buckwheat sprouts if there is one?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Gosh, I eat quite a bit of the sprouts too. My favorite sprouts! I’d love to see the reply.

• I am confused because I am reading Elaine Bruce Living Foods for Radiant Health and she promotes eating buckwheat lettuce :/

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

evildarkvirus, thanks and thats exactly what i read, but im confused about whether buckwheat “greens” mean the little white sprouts or the full grown grass.

• that’s a good question, although maybe there isn’t much difference between fully grown and sprouted? Biologically I mean..

• Yes, I am still confused also as to weather “young green shoots” are the same thing as “sprouts”, or if they mean the leaves and grass that would grow from the sprout? Does it mean that the sprout also has high amounts of the fagopyrin?
    At any rate, it sounds as if one must eat a large amount of it to affect you, but it is rather discerning to know you are eating a toxin that may cause such a problem.
    Marcy

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

No, shoots and greens are different. The groat does not contain problematic amounts of fagopyrin, and neither do the short tails. The greens are usually grown like seeds, planted in soil. The problems occur when you drink large quantities of juiced buckwheat grass as you would wheatgrass.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Thank goodness! lol, elizabethh just turned me on to trying buckwheat sprouts, and I LOVE them! haha.
    thanks by the way!

• I eat perennial buckwheat, Fagopyrum dibotrys, leaves regular. When I started
    eating them I used a lot of them and after a few months
    my nose I got this prickly feeling in my nose when I was
    in the sun. (That’s the photo toxicity) I reduce the amount
    and the problem disappeared.

“The leaves are rich in rutin which is a capillary tonic, antioedemic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and hypotensive218. Rutin also inhibits carcinogenesis and protects against radiation218.” Plants For A Future

• I contacted Elaine Bruce from LivingFoods about buckwheat greens and here is my reply..

THE ANSWER, AS ALWAYS IS TO EAT ANYTHING IN MODERATION, WHICH I PERSONALLY HAVE DONE WITH BUCKWHEAT FOR 30 YEARS! i HAVE ALSO OBSERVED THAT PEOPLE WHIO EAT A BIT TOO MUCH OF OF THE GREENS, MAY FEEL A BIT OF A TINGLE, VERY MILD COMPARED TO WHAT IS DESCRIBED ABOVE. WHEN SUNBATHING. WHY SUNBATHE? VERY HARMFUL IN ITSELF

THIS MISCHIEVOUS IDEA REMINDS ME OF THE DRUG INDUSTRY’S ATTACK ON COMFREY, BY MAKING AN EXTRACT OF THE ACTIVE PRINCIPLE (NOT THE WHOLE PLANT) CONCENTRATING IT AND THEN FEEDING IT IN LARGE AMOUNTS TO POOR LITTLE MICE. tHEY THEN TRIUMPHANTLY CLAIMED IT TO BE POISONOUS AND WERE SUCCESSFUL IN GETTING IT WITHDRAWN, SO THE PUBLIC ARE DEPRIVED OF A WONDER FUL, HARMLESS HEALING AGENT..
    EAT YOUR LITTLE GREENS IN MODERATION, AND IF BY ANY CHANCE YOU SHD FEEL A TINGLING OF THE SKIN WHEN IN THE SHOWER AFTER SUNBATHING, USUALLY JUST THE ARMS, BACK OFF FOR A FEW DAYS AND PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM DIRECT SUNLIGHT. IT’S THAT WHICH CAUSES THE PROBLEM

i THINK IF THIS SCARE STORY IS GOING AROUND, I’LL INCLUDE YOUR QUESTION AND MY ANSWER IN A NEWSLETTER. HOPE THAT’S OK WITH YOU? IT’S VERY HELPFUL TO HAVE SUCH ISSUES THOROUGHLY AIRED..mANY THANKS FOR YOUR QUESTION AND WARM GOOD WISHES

Best wishes
    Elaine Bruce
    Director