Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

over eating?

should i feel bad if i’ve been sitting here eating for over two hours? it’s all raw and healthy, i guess. i had some miso dressing cucumbers, sprouts, bell pepper in lettuce. then i made some delish spicey salsa and have eaten all of it with some italian raw crackers.

i kind of feel like i could even keep eating, like stuffing myself silly isn’t possible because i can’t feel that bloated, literally “stuffed” feeling…...........

Comments

• FreesiaFreesia Raw Newbie

I’ve done this many times, you certainly are not alone in this!
    ..Especially as I’m totally loving cucumbers at the moment ..I can eat 5 really big ones without blinking, hehe.

I do the same with watermelon, we cut up a whole melon and keep going at it till it’s gone.

It’s mostly water.. so don’t worry too much. There comes a time …eventually…when your body says “no more just now”..Like you say, it’s all healthy, no heavy nuts or seeds, etc.

• If you are just starting to eat raw for the first time (or after a long break) it may be that your body is craving the nutrients and wanting more of it! Doesn’t sound like you are bulking up on high fat/sugar foods, so I would not be concerned. Maybe just make sure you are getting a good balance of nutirents by varying what you are eating.

When I get the ‘insatiable hunger’ feeling, I eat some raw oatmeal. I posted a recipe for banana oatmeal a few days ago. Usually fills me up and helps me focus on something other than what I will be eating next!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

although you should feel good about eating raw, overeating any kind of food is definitely not good for you (raw or not).

• I’ll second what elizabethh said, no matter how healthful the food it can be detrimental to your body to overdo anything. I would say the most important thing to ask yourself when this happens is “Do I feel out of control? Am I able to stop eating for 20 minutes to see if I’m truly hungry?” (20 minutes is the minimum amount of time it takes for your brain to recognize when your stomach is satiated). You will often find that if you’re able to stop and do something else for that long that your hunger/desire to eat will disappear or at least diminish. If you are still hungry then it just happens to be a hungry day for your body:) and I think we’ve all had those. If you’re not hungry then think what other factor would be making me want to be eating right now?” Give those questions/techniques a try next time and you’ll be able to know whether it’s actual hunger or something else. Hope that helps!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Overeating is a huge problem for me too (all raw, but still I don’t feel well afterwards) and so I appreciate any advice about it.

I am going to try setting time limits for my meals. That was a great idea. I’ll give myself 20 minutes to eat and then stop and move on. I get full quickly but sometimes the ‘More Monster’ takes over. No more…

• Overeating anything isn’t good…

That being said when I’m eating something like salad, if I’m eating slowly and chewing well, it may take me a long time to finish it. I’m also pretty active, and you have to eat a fair amount of veggies to get enough calories. So I will often spend a long time going leisurely through raw veggies (I make sure to get these in first!), then I add denser foods like fruits, sprouts, and fat as my hunger and activity level that day demand—otherwise I might be eating all day long, like a gorilla, to get all the food I need! Also, if I were to get all my calories from veggies, I would need more room than my stomach has! So I’m not on an all-vegetable diet, but I will eat more bulk than someone eating SAD, or even raw fat and nuts. That’s just going to take awhile!

Eat to physical satisfication, but before you are “full”. Eating the minimum that you need has been proven to be best for longevity.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I dont’ know if you are over-eating. All those fruits and veggies you’re eating are very high in water and very low in calories. If you’re not bloated and still wanting to graze, it’s probably because your body is still hungry. Eat. (except for the crackers, I didn’t see that at first haha)

• Perhaps I didn’t phrase the 20 minute advice too well, just to clarify, eating slowly and taking your time with a meal is a GOOD thing, what I meant to say about 20 minutes is: if you’ve finished a ‘meal’ or are not sure whether you should eat more then stop eating and WAIT 20 minutes so your body can tell you whether it’s full. Does that clarify??

Another idea which Alix brings up is that you’re eating a lot of healthy, calorically light stuff. Adding a little protein and fat in the way of a drizzle of oil, spoonful of flax seed, or some crumbled nuts on top of your veggies might do the trick.