Seattle, WASHINGTON??

Hello there! I might be moving to Seattle Washington very soon. Any suggestions where I can get fresh produce for really cheap? And what do you call it when you go to your local farmers market and ask them to fill up a basket for you, and you pay a discount? What is that called?

Comments

• Hello there!

I live in Seattle and by far the cheapest places to get produce is Seattle’s produce stores and Asian markets in the International District.

Produce stores:

Macpherson’s-super cheap, not always best quality
    (206) 762-0115 – 4500 15th Ave S, on Beacon Hill

Tony’s Market—more expensive than Macpherson’s better quality, still much cheaper than grocery stores. Wonderful owner.
    (206) 937-6760 -9050 35th Ave Sw, in West Seattle

Marylin’s Produce—in between Macpherson’s and Tony’s in price and quality. Extremely friendly people!
    257 Rainier Ave N -425) 226-9537 in Renton

Blessings!

Audrey

• You’re lucky; Seattle is marvelous. Produce is not really cheap at Pike Place, so I always avoid it. There’s a farmer’s market in Magnolia that’s supposed to be good. Don’t know what the discount is called.

My favorite Asian grocery stores are actually in Federal Way, south of Seattle. The H-Mart and Paldo World are good. Lots of interesting, fresh greens including pea shoots in the spring. You can get coconuts for a dollar each (if you’re still eating them.)

• Coconuts for a dollar?! I’m there! Thanks for the suggestions, the information has been written down and stored away.

The reason why pike’s market produce is so expensive might be because of all the tourists. Good to know.