Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Foods for skin care

Hi everyone,

I know that this topic is scattered about through various other posts, but I thought we could accumulate the information that has been shared here in this post.

Since going raw (2 months of dabbling, and 20 days of 100%), like many others, I’ve had my fair share of skin-related problems. Sores and scars not healing (even after several months!), bad acne, dry skin, rashes, etc. It’s been my most obvious sign of detox, but I’ve also been realizing that my problem may be related to a deficiency of some sort.

So, what are your favorite skin-improving foods that are capable of combating these symptoms we share?

On my end, I’ve discovered that I may be deficient in LNA’s, and so am going to really start upping my intake of flax oils and pumpkin seeds.

Thanks everyone!

-Dave:)

Comments

• Hi Dave! I don’t know anything about foods that are good for skin… other than using coconut oil as a moisterizer. But here is a yummy way to eat your pumpkin seeds and flax oil: http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/2779-Better-than…
    I made that up when I wanted something salty like popcorn or chips. You could switch the coconut oil with your flax oil… yum!

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I’ve noticed that after about 2 months of eating mainly raw (and cutting out all condiments, only drinking water amoung other things) has completely cleared up my skin. My skin is problem free now, and I seem to heal a little faster.

Some good foods for skincare include: Black Radishes, Onions, Cucumbers, Black Olives, Coconuts and coconut oil, Tumeric, Macadamia Nuts, Papaya and of course lots of dark leafy greens and lots of water.

The Book, “Eating for Beauty” by David Wolfe was a good read and I really did learn a lot!

Keeping a good PH level is also important. Northernlights is right, coconut oil is an excellent moisterizer.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

My skin got a lot better my first month and a half of raw, and I was so happy. But then I hit month 2 and now it seems like I am breaking out a lot more! I’m sure it’s detox and I’m relieved it’s happening finally because for awhile I was just waiting for it to come and not having anything. I thought I was one of the lucky ones who didn’t detox that much but ever since month 2, I’ve had breakouts, splitting headaches and feel like I have the flu.

Lots of green smoothies and water seem to help the skin part.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

“Eating for Beauty” totally changed my skin! Cutting down on my sweet fruits and increasing my greens really made a difference. Oh, and MSM!

• Pineapples, strawberries, raspberries, sprouts, parsley and flaxseeds are also good for the skin.

For the dry skin I can recommend jojoba oil, and tea tree oil for the acne. You should just put 1 or 2 drops of it to the acne, and it will disappear soon! You can also do the same thing with eukalyptus oil.
    Another good method using the eukaliptus oil (from a Hungarian naturopath): in the morning and in the evening you should put eukalyptus oil in a teaspooon of honey or agave syrup and eat it: on the first day 3 drops, on the second day 4 drops, you should increase the number of drops until the fifth day(7 drops), then from the fifth day you decrease the number of drops (on the 6. day 6 drops, on the 7. day 5 drops and so on until 3 drops)

• Wow, thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. And thank you NorthernLights for the wonderful recipe – I’m a recovering popcorn addict myself, and I’m off to buy a big bag of pumpkin seeds this evening, so that will definitely hit the spot.

I have been using coconut oil for my dry patches with some noticeable success. Some of the other foods mentioned (olives, berries, macadamia nuts, papaya) really aren’t within my financial reach, but I have access to lots of good organic greens and water! I’m hoping that the majority of my problems will be solved when my body builds up a better store of LNA - I seem to be exhibiting all the symptoms of deficiency.

Thanks again so much everyone. I think I’d like to start incorporating more turmeric into my diet too. Good for digestion and the skin – my two problem areas!

Keep the good advice coming.

Best to you all,

-Dave:)

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I like Hemp Oil and Hemp Seeds best for essential fatty acids. The recommended ratio from the World Health Organization is 4:1 of Omega-6 to Omega-3, which is essential for optimal uptake and assimilation. Hemp seed oil has a natural 3.75:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3. Flax is almost the opposite with a 1:4 ratio.

Also for skin, I’ve read these are helpful: radishes and burdock root.

Cheers!
    Kristen Suzanne

• Yes good to follow David Wolfes book Eating For Beauty but also very important is to make sure you skin brush everday and dont use soap everyday because it strips your skin.The skin brush will give you a new fresh layer of skin daily and soap can never do that.Dont waste any money on cremes just use raw coconut oil or olive stone crushed.Of course drink plenty of water.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I have found that coconut oil isn’t hydrating enough for my skin in the winter. I live in very very cold, very windy upstate ny

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

I’ve had terrible skin all my life. I’m 27, and finding hormone balance is the final answer. I wanted to tell you raw honey gobbed on face, then spread out with water gave me amazing results ever day I used it! Also, apple cider vinegar with water at night…