Organic Food

I know that organic food is best, but not only is it expensive, but it’s hard to find where I live. I live in the Detroit area which was once voted the fattest and unhealthiest city in the nation. So there are little to no resources for me. I am having trouble finding a farmers market near my house. The health food stores only sell small amounts of organic produce. I’d say that only about 10% of what I consume is organic. This worries me, because I know that I am taking in harmful chemicals and feel that I am not getting all the nutrients I need. Should I be concerned? Also, percentage wise, how much of the food that you guys consume whould you say is organic?

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

I live near the midland area, about two hours from you. Meijer sells a lot of organic produce and runs specials on it also. Look around, check the paper for their weekly ads. I got ripe oranges once that were a little too ripe, at $1.99 a 4 lbs bag once. Not bad at all. Also, walmart has organic food. I think there is a whole food store not far from Detroit. You should also have a few coops that offer produce at discount rates. I do not have a whole food store around here or many coops for that matter but you would be more lucky down there. Search the internet and you should find a coop where you can buy in bulk and save money.

Also, some produce can be eaten non organic because it is not sprayed as much while others they say should be eaten organically if at all possible. Like, bananas and avocados are said to be fine as well as many others while celery and peaches are sprayed a lot. Also get some kind of vegetable spray which helps removes some of the spray.

I do not eat enough organic foods myself and I wonder if it would make me feel better than I already do. If so, I will have to up my percentage of organic produce.

Also be aware that even if the produce is not organic and not sprayed, it still is grown in soil that has no nutrients in it and is most likely chemically fertilized so, for that reason, organic food has more nutrients in it and is better for you.

• I (almost always) buy organic from the following: oranges, lemons, carrots, tomatoes, apples, bananas and kiwis (price is almost the same for non-organic) grains and legumes to sprout.
    I buy non-organic: avocadoes, onions, cabbage, kale, chicory, almonds, coconuts.
    I try to eat as much organic as I can afford, but I can’t buy some of the things here organic
    (for example beets and celery, which I love) The local supermarket carries some organic products, but the selection changes weekly. In most cases I go to some of the towns nearby to do the shopping.