Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nut-free and the possible lack of nutrients?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there were any other raw foodies out there who cannot eat nuts or grain? My body doesn’t process nuts or seeds as food, instead they clog my colon and have blocked strictures in the past, also I can’t digest them. (even if they’re soaked) I see a colon therapist/ herbalist and she told me to quit eating all seeds and nuts. Which I have, and I feel fine. It’s been a few weeks actually since I’ve consumed any nut or seed. (or grain) I find myself eating more fruit than I thought possible. But my concern is will I eventually become deficient in any nutrients? Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hmm, maybe zinc and iron are nutrients that’s are in the nuts in a good amount, (and calcium as well in certain ones)
    Maybe you should take a zinc supplement if you don’t wanna eat nuts and eat a lot of avocadoes, flax, olive and other kinds of oils for the esential fatty acids. What about the seeds? I think that flaxseeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds etc are not so hard to digest, especially if you grind them fine in a coffee grinder. Maybe if you make them into a pate, with some spices and lemon juice they will be much easier to digest!

• Will you be able to maintain your weight? It’s true about the zinc, there are some micronutrients it will be hard to get without those foods. Avocados will give you easy-to-digest fat, but don’t provide zinc, iron, selenium.

• DiaDia

Hi Chakra, I will recommend to you that you read The 80/10/10 Diet, by Dr. Douglas N. Graham. This Dr states that we do not need or even should eat many nuts or seeds. He says that all the nutrients that our body needs and was designed for, can be found in fruits and a few leafy greens. His diet is a low fat raw vegan diet. He goes into great detail about all of the reasons why we should be eating mostly fruits. If you follow his diet you should be fine without eating any nuts or grain and you should not lose weight.
    Now I have read the whole book, but am not currently following the diet, even though I probably should. His diet is a little strict and I am having trouble sticking with it. I am hoping I will get there eventually. I really wish the best to you and hope that his diet will help you out.

• Wow, thanks for the book recommendation. I just “blackled” the author and found and interesting blurb about the book. Sounds like it may be a very helpful book or good literature at the very least, considering I am already extremely strict myself.

• eat other superfoods, especially seaweed, algae and bee pollen, and you should not have a problem with nutrients. can you have avocado and coconut? olives? other cold pressed oils?

• Yes, mandelicious, I eat one avocado daily with some greens, about two young coconuts per week, and I whole-heartedly love seaweed! I have seen algae in bulk at my local co-op, but I never knew what to do with it. How does it taste and what is its consistency? Could I add it to a seaweed soup? As far at the bee pollen, what would you recommend I do with that? I sell it where I work, but I know so little about it. Is that something I just want to take a spoonful of each day or is it better to incorporate it into meals?

• Algae (blue green algae, spirulina, chlorella) is powdered, and you could add it to either seaweed soup or green smoothies. Spirulina has the mildest taste.

Bee pollen is natures most complete food! Full of vitamins (including B12) minerals and protein, and will often rid you of seasonal allergies, if you get them. You can just drop the granules on your tongue, or add it to smoothies (I have it on sprouted bread, but I guess you would not!) Supposedly it’s best eaten on an empty stomach anyway.

You might be interested in The Beauty Diet by David Wolfe. Although I feel like he’s pushing his own supplements and superfoods at times, it has lots of great info on nutrient dense foods.

You will be fine. I eat too many nuts and seeds! I would be better off if I cut back, but I’m so new to rawness at all that I don’t want to get too restrictive all at once.