Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

cacao

heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

can i eat cacao every day? or would that be a bad choice for a staple? because i lovvvvve it in my smoothies and i bought some raw truffle butter from oneluckyduck, amazing!

thanks!

Comments

• I think you can eat it every day, but in moderation. However it is a superfood, it also contains oxalates, which prevent the absorbtion of nutrients, like calcium. So the best is if you don’t eat cocoa with calcium rich foods such as sesame seeds or poppy seeds.

• JDJD

heartshapedsky- David Wolfe has an entire book dedicated to chocolate called Naked Chocolate. I have not read it but it has recieved great reviews.

• i found that when I first started eating cacao, i ate it everyday, probably because I needed some of the minerals and vitamins in it. Then after a few weeks, my need just went away. Now i eat something with cacao once a week or so.

I say try eating it everyday and see if you naturally get tired of it. Be careful because some people get a cacao high, so i would monitor the feeling and make sure you are not eating it just for that because it might be addictive depending on your personality.

I have the david wolfe book and it is co-authored with shazzie. They have a great time exploring the world of cacao. There are lots of great recipes in it.

• I eat cacao every day & I love it. It works well for me for the most part. ...since it is a superfood, it can surely be overdone! ;) I’ve found the best way to come back to earth if I’ve had too much is to have some dark greens. —David Wolfe also says that vanilla bean is cacao’s balancer. They work wonderfully together.
    When making your cacao smoothies, you could also add a liquid calcium to it. (in dropper form). That is also a great compliment. :) Enjoy!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

personally, i reserve raw cacao for very special occasions, as it tends to make me anxious and also prevents me from sleeping through the night. however, it is a very powerful antioxidant cocktail, so if you dont have a bad reaction to it, id say no problem!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

thank you so much everyone!

i’m actually going to see david wolfe speak tonight, so exciting.

xoxo

• David Wolfe says that raw cacao is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet… it is so high in most essential vitamins and minerals. Very high in magnesium which is really what you body needs for bone health along with silica.. from Davids talk. So I think your body may need some of these things that is why you are craving it. Over the years I have had certain foods that I just love and can’t get enough of, then all of a sudden I don’t want them anymore.. so I think my body has replenished itself and tells me thats enough. so go with what your body is telling you. If you have been raw for a while you become very intune with it.

xx

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Simply, cacoa rocks, large! It is very high in antioxidants, whcih we need desperately in this polluted age!

• I have never had cacoa but everyone here seems to love it….I have never been a chocolate fan but I do crave sweets now and again….anyway, what would be a good first recipe to try? (please keep in mind that I do not have a deydrator)
    Thanks in advance!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I don’t eat cacao often because it contains theobromine, a neurotoxin, stimulant. Not fantastic for a person with a neurodegenerative disease such as mine (MS). I do eat it on occasion though and love it when I eat it. It all goes back to the vary your diet and moderation rules.

Sarm, you can add it to a green smoothie with banana. Be sure to add a sweetener!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Sarm, there are so many awesome recipes on this site. Here are my two current favorites:
    http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/2909-Cacao-Raspb…
    http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/334-Raw-Chocolate
    It makes you fall in love with chocolate!!