Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Superfoods

There’s a lot of talk about SUPERFOODS. I know what they are, but I’d love to get your inpute about which foods they are or websites that give a list.
cacao (antioxidant etc)
spirulina (protein etc)
- chlorella (mercury detox)

Others?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

didn’t mean to cross out that line. How annoying!

• Hey, if you put a – at the start and end of a line it crosses it out ;) just a trick I’ve noticed!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’d like to chip in here and ask something I’ve been wondering for ages:
    what is the difference between spirulina, blue manna and crystal manna? I know the sales blurb about how it is from Lake Klamath etc but is there any difference in the effectiveness?
    Spirulina is much cheaper, but blue manna is sparkly and very expensive, and the crystals are flaky are they the same thing nut processed differently? does this mean it one is better than the other?

By the way, Kate Wood has just written a book about superfoods, published soon through Shazzie’s company. She has them all the time, I would imagine her book is going to cover all the bases. Her website is http://www.rawliving.com

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

How do you feel about superfoods, Zoe?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Unsure. I have been experimenting with them recently, which has been interesting. I am glad that I left experimenting with them now, as I have been 100% for a few years, and have been experiencing the power of raw food with no extras.
    I don’t actually believe they are necessary for success as a raw foodist in any way.
    I don’t follow the idea that adding something to my diet can bring me health. I believe a healthy immune system brings me health, and cutting out all cooked food heals and strengthens my immune system perfectly.
    But experimenting is fun, and I wanted to try some out so I have more information to ponder on, can’t say I have made my mind up yet though, the issue of our food being depleted of nutrients plays on my mind – but I haven’t researched that enough to even know if that is true or not.
    What d’you think?

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’ve had goji berries and maca, neither of which has given me any additional kick, but honestly, I don’t really know what to expect. Can anyone tell us about other superfoods? I only know of like five.

• I have goji berries, they are high in vitamin C apparently! I chuck them in smoothies!

• I have also been adding a lot of Chia seeds to things. After reading that book, “The Magic of Chia” I am convinced they are truly a great superfood that we should be using now that they are available.
    Marcy

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I was skeptical at first, then I tried a few. I can’t say that all have improved my health because they don’t effect symptoms much, but seaweed/kelp has helped me with thyroid function. I also eat maca, chia seed, lucuma powder, cacao, yakon powder, goji berries and camu-camu powder. Each one has a place in some of my recipes as a key ingredient because of the properties they contain. Maca, also supposed to be good for thyroid, is a good thickener in sauces. Chia is good in salad dressing, lucuma is fab in desserts, cacao doesn’t need an explanation! Yakon is a pre-biotic, camu is high in vitamin C. I like to add goji berries to granola. I have never tried hemp leaf, ho sho wu or fo-ti. I use Dr. Schulze’s superfood and it contains chlorella and spirulina as well as nutritional yeast. Blueberries are also considered a “superfood”. I was skeptical at first because powders don’t seem as nutritious as fresh produce, but considering the problems with farming these days, they might be even MORE nutritious. I just don’t know

• I just finished watching on youtube shazzie’s videos about superfoods. She says that our bodies have been depleted so they are helpful to get back on track.

I just started putting
    hemp
    maca
    gogi berries
    spirulina
    blue green algae crystal manna
    lucuma
    mesquite

I eat a little cacao every few days too.

in my green smoothies. Wow, it really kicks it up a notch for me. But I suspect I am in need of some replenishing faster and more intensely than plain raw foods can do right now. Plus I am trying to move from about 70% closer to 100%.

So for me, when I listened to shazzie’s video, i thought, wow that sounds exactly like what i need now. I am thinking that i will move away from them eventually once i am replenished.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’m very interested in wheatgrass juice after reading Ann Wigmore’s story. I want to order it frozen from Dynamic Greens. I don’t know if anything can be more “Super”! Any experiences?

redhouse, are you using hemp leaf or hempseed? I bought some mesquite meal to try it. I live amid mesquite trees and thought that if I liked it I would make my own. It isn’t super tasting to me. I don’t know that I’ll ever make my own, health benefits aside.

• I’d say all kinds of sprouts are SUPERFOODS. Mung beans, Alfalfa, wheat, sesame, fenugreek, buck wheat, millet etc can be sprouted easily without any special equipment. I grow my sprouts (mostly fenugreek, wheat) in soup bowls.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Due to financial reasons I haven’t had the opportunity to indulge myself with superfoods yet. My raw diet is pretty basic, fruit and salads. I think now that I started a new job I might be able to do some superfood experimentation though.

I have tried goji berries in smoothies and just eating them plain and do feel altered and “up” afterwards, so maybe there’s something to it, or maybe it’s just placebo…

Either way, I’ll have to eat more to know more. :-)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

all raw and living foods are superfoods. Some are just more potent than others. The superfoods that I eat every day are goji berries, cacao powder, fo-ti, dulse, maca, kombucha, and a decoction made from pau’d arco (not raw;boiled) I am quite healthy so I really do not notice that big of a change. I just eat these food to maintain my health. I do feel quite energized from wheat grass though. That stuff is amazing! Other superfoods include: purple corn extract, lacuma, camu camu, yacon root, wild jungle peanuts, spirulina, incan berries, carob,schisandra berries, barley grass, wheat grass, hemp leaf, honey, mesquite, mangosteen, acai, quinoa, chia seed, hemp seed, kombucha, etc. Some herbs that you can make decoctions out of (tea) are : cts claw bark, pau d’ arco bark, chaparral, chanca piedra, noni leaf, yerba mate, oatstraw, horsetail, etc. You ahve quite a list right there aye? Like I always say explore the wide variety available to you in this day and age! No you do not need all of these superfoods to have super health. All you will have is a very large hole in your wallet :) If you know about and use 10 potent herbs then you are good to go. My suggestions would be goji berries, cacao, maca, cats claw, spirulina, pau d’ arco, horsetail, oatstraw, and noni.

• Great suggestions here! I agree that most plant based whole foods are superfoods, some just have more antioxidants and nutrients than others. I recently wrote a blog about 5 Great Feel Good Superfoods you can check out and they won't put a big hole in your wallet! They include Berries, Beans (lentil sprouts are quick and easy), flaxseeds, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower etc.) and dark leafy greens.

• maureengmaureeng Raw Newbie

I have been Raw with minimal cooked food for a month following mentors on YouTube. Superfoods I have tried that were recommended are Daily Green Boost and Hemp powder. Previously I was a regular vegan. I have been growing Microgreens in the basement. Those single-handedly seemed to put my arthritis in remission. You can buy Microgreens in stored but they are expensive. I lost 10 more pounds in a month and started weight training. That in itself says something about raw in general being fabulous for health. The Hemp powder has amazing Protien in it since I’m lifting weights. I am at perfect BMI now. I don’t eat sugar oil and very little salt. I follow Raw Vegan Rising, Ms fit Vegan Chef AJ has Raw people on her show sometimes.