Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The cost of raw...

kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I love many of the recipes I find on here however I’m wondering about the costs. I’m familiar with many of the ingredients that I see and I’m well aware of how expensive some of them are. Using those ingredients in a special dish is one thing but using them for everyday items? I dont’ know, I find it questionable that the average person can afford such lavish and expensive dishes. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Comments

• I agree that the raw diet might work out to be quite expensive. However, you could substitute ingredients in recipes for other ones cheaper/easier to get in your area. I think raw is expensive when you start – but when you know what to buy and when you need it I think it will settle down. (Here’s hoping!)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I don’t think most people do on a daily basis, but keep in mind that the recipes section is like any cookbook and so they’re going to be layered and often pricey. If I went to a cook foods forum I would see and hear the same. Most of your daily diet is going to be whole foods, as it is for probably the majority. Of course, overall it is more expensive to eat fresh fruits and veggies as a diet, isn’t that a shame?

• I’ve noticed that buying online tends to keep the cost down. For example, my local health-foods store sells cacao powder in small bags for $34… however, I found 1 pound on Amazon.com for $25 (with free shipping!) Also, I’ve learned to buy in bulk for things I use frequently… farmer’s markets, and even local grocery stores offer discounts on buying larger quantities (I just bought 5 pints of blueberries for $10 at my local Big Y store) and then I just store any excess in those “as seen on TV” green bags – they really work, by the way! It hasn’t cost me much extra money, especially since I have replaced other items (cereal, milk, etc.) with healthy fruits and veggies – kind of a balancing act on the budget!

This summer I will try growing my own items in my garden too – that way, these things will be at a cost of $0!!!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I try to find recipes on this website that use flax seeds and sunflower seeds because they are less expensive. Overall my grocery bill has went up, but I think it’s worth it

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

For me, the cost is worth it right now. I’ve literally spent thousands of dollars on medical bills, so if this keeps me out of the doctor’s office, I am actually saving money in the long run. Think of it as part of your cost for health care. Hmm, I wonder if I can deduct my groceries as a medical expense…. LOL
    Right now I am diving into books and asking lots of questions about gardening, because I plan on growing a lot of my own veggies this spring. I bought quite a few things to get us started in the house. OH, and I’ve also read about doing gardening in your house!! You could start decorating the house with tomato plants, and pretty lettuces. I can’t wait!!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

some very cost effective raw staples are buckwheat groats (makes a FABULOUS salad base soaked), sprouts, and seeds. also, you can reserve buying organic for very thin skinned fruits and veggies, leaving your avocados, bananas, and pineapple conventional, if you’re comfortable with that. if you can, try joining an organic co-op from your area, and remember that the right spices can make the simplest ingredients taste amazing!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

it’s also a lifestyle savings if you ask me. i read this great article by alice waters (started a whole bunch of organic farms with children in california) who was marveling how we will complain about the cost of an organic peach, but the % of $ we spend on food is actually very low!

i’ve since upped my food %, but decreased other expenditures like beauty products, entertainment, “drinks”...

• I’ve found I eat a lot less – so while my cost per item may have gone up, my overall costs haven’t gone up that much. I was with my parents this week, and my father couldn’t help pointing out just how much the orange I was eating cost ($.80), or how expensive the red pepper was (like, what – $1) but had no problem shelling out $3.00 for a scone. I’m not sure which is more expensive. I guess it’s all in what you are hoping to get out of your food purchases…

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Think of all the money you save by not buying junk food anymore. A box of Twinkies is $3.99! A gallon of milk is about the same. Both of those have added health costs. Raw food is a bargain by comparison. You use less electricity by not cooking, your house stays cooler in the summer. You probably use less water to clean up, I do. It’s also possible to grow some of your own food and use the dinner scraps for compost. In the long run, a raw food diet could be cheaper!

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

Some days I think,I don’t care how much it costs because I feel so wonderful.
    Just a matter of getting the right balance of greens,fruits & fats.
    I like fruit & fruit juice till lunchtime,then a green smoothie or two, some salads then at night I might have a nut milk fruit smoothie.
    That seems to suit me.

• Well, if you devote your entire budget to raw i think you would be fine. You cant be devoting your budget to cooked foods, raw, and going out. That’s where it hurts.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

WOW…I’m shocked by the replies. I was initially leary of this site. It didn’t seem to be friendly. Thanks so much for the insight! It’s certainly given me a different perspective on the issue!

• I have a raw buddy, wh I can sometimes “borrow” things from. For example, rawguru.com’s raw almond flour has to be purchased in bulk and its alomst 200 bucks. But since my friend buys the full 12 pounds, I can “buy” a few pound bags instead of spending a fortune. So try to convert some of your friends to raw, and see if you can share your supplies. This sounds really cookoo clock, but it’s just my suggestion.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

rawclaire, great idea. It takes co-op to another level!

• 123-lol, yeah!

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I’m the only one eating raw at home, and I have three children, and a husband. He looks at my food and wants to hurl. I’m still hoping that, by example he will follow suit. I will NEVER force him to eat what I do. Rather than cooking veggie side dishes to go with cooked meals, I will make salads, or serve cut veggies with it, or some fun fruit.
    I made a lasagna last night for the family, and they can eat off of that thing for two nights, and a couple lunches. I make a lot of stuff from scratch, and the kids rarely get to eat boxed cereal.
    My groceries run about 150-170 for every 7-8 days.